Brake caliper question

Tore the rubber boot
Time out order new part

Last edited:
I got the new brake line I needed for the taller handle bars and at first I dry fitted the line so I knew which end would go on the MC and which one to the caliper
Put the caliper in the vice to hold it while I filled it with fluid and then put the lower end of the hose on and tightened the banjo bolt
Next up routed the line up to the caliper and attached that to the MC and tightened up the banjo bolt
Next step put a 6" C clamp on the piston and started pressing it in
It only goes a ways in and unless I would really reef on it it's not going any further
Before I rebuilt the caliper the piston was in great shape without the seal in it you could slide it in and out easily and with the seal in you could push it partways by hand easily but then you couldn't go any further either
I'll post a few pictures so maybe you have an idea of what I'm talking about
1 will be the master cylinder with the fluid in it before I started this operation ( the level did't go up during all this )
2 master cylinder with pressure being applied
3 where the piston sits when I release the pressure
I'm being told by the website the uploaded image are to big ( new one for me )
I'll try and figure that out (sorry)

It's sticking out a good 1/2 " from being flush with the caliper that's what's strange
My computer is acting odd with the website I'm gonna re boot
I'll be right back

It's not but if I'm trying to force fluid from the caliper up to the master cylinder doesn't it nee to be closed ?
The cap is off the master cylinder if that make a difference

I was trying to use the way that Jim and ggggary had used
At least I think I'm headed that way
When I release the pressure the piston will spring back a few mm

It's sticking out a good 1/2 " from being flush...
I'd suggest taking the caliper back apart and see why that's as far as it'll go. Like wheel said, it should go pretty close to flush.

It's not but if I'm trying to force fluid from the caliper up to the master cylinder doesn't it nee to be closed ?
The cap is off the master cylinder if that make a difference
I totally agree, but I can’t say that to be 100% true however something is impeding that piston. I don’t know of it ever happening but could that piston have gotten slightly ovaled somehow? Otherwise it should slip right in without a clamp with a little lube on the seal ring.

It seems odd to me too I could swear that I tried pushing the piston in with seal and dust boot on no fluid and it wouldn't go in very far either
I'll need to take the caliper off and push on it with banjo bolt removed and the bleeder open and see what happens
That way there won't be any pressure on the piston
I have to go to preside over the local summer festival meeting as the president right now but tomorrow I'll get back to it
Thanks for the suggestion !!

I totally agree, but I can’t say that to be 100% true however something is impeding that piston. I don’t know of it ever happening but did that piston get slightly ovaled? Otherwise it should slip right in without a clamp with a little lube on the seal ring.
Without the seal in the piston slides in and of easily push it in and tip it over and it will slide back out
With the seal in it just doesn't want to go to far (at first by hand it will go in a ways fairly easily but then runs up against resistance )
I'm going to take the micrometer to it to see if it's out of round (visually I don't see it )
I also need to find out why I can't download pictures like I used to
Don't know if the image resolution changed I'm seeing like 14.7 MB per pictures WTF

If it’s going in without the seal it’s fine. It sounds like the seal is “rolling” and holding the piston. Try lubing it with brake fluid and give it a twist to see if it can slip past that seal.

If it’s going in without the seal it’s fine. It sounds like the seal is “rolling” and holding the piston. Try lubing it with brake fluid and give it a twist to see if it can slip past that seal.
I did put a coating of brake fluid on it but I may have to take it apart and try again
It's strange that it seems to go easy at first then stop

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
When you had the seal out did you carefully and fully clean out the groove it it sits in?
How is the piston for rust pitting? I seldom find original pistons that can be reused, they're usually pitted too bad.
This would be my prime suspect as to your problem, that groove gets filled with hardened spooge, then the seal grips the piston too hard.
I can (just) push the piston in with my fingers to push the fluid to fill the MC. Did you overhaul the MC? You say it was still filled. But it should have quickly self drained down through the brake line if everything is as it should be.

:twocents: front brakes is no place for half/assery. They need to be done fully and correctly, the life you save............

The above pictures show just how far it will go in but that's where it stops

The MC is a Mike's ? after market so it probably needs replacing

I did clean the groove where the seal goes in with aluminum wire and brake cleaner

Back