Buzzy's revival: '82 Heritage Special

Yes, these bikes are tough on plates because of the vibration. I make a backing plate from 1/8" thick aluminum plate and 4 bolt the license plate to it with some rubber sheet in between. Haven't had any plate issues since .....

Plate Mount.jpg

Plate Mount3.JPG

Plate Mount4.JPG

I use nyloc nuts but there's another little trick I employ. If you look at the nuts and bolt heads in my pics, you'll see I position them with a point of the hex facing up. That way, I can tell with just a glance if any have moved and/or loosened.

I use nyloc nuts but there's another little trick I employ. If you look at the nuts and bolt heads in my pics, you'll see I position them with a point of the hex facing up. That way, I can tell with just a glance if any have moved and/or loosened.
That will work, or maybe even using a marker.

Back to the fuse block. Buzzy died on me this morning while coming to a stop. The problem is the fuse holder has vibrated forward so as to no longer make contact with the fuse and thereby disconnecting the flow of trons. I used super glue to hopefully afix the holder in place.
20240110_070436.jpg
20240110_120231.jpg
20240110_120922.jpg
20240110_121000.jpg

Attachments

• 20240110_121030.jpg
    20240110_121030.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 22
Buzzy got a new windscreen. I don't have it adjusted to my satisfaction yet.
I decided to keep the bug screen on as the clear screen has no lower attachment points. The only attachments are the rods.

Here are the unboxed parts.
20240210_102245.jpg

This cap has a rubber washer under i before inserting.
20240210_104100.jpg

Here is the windscreen loosely attached.
20240210_104144.jpg

The kit came with 2 different sized rubber inserts. This is the thicker one for the 7/8" bars on Buzzy.
20240210_104254.jpg

The kit also has 2 allan wrenches, the only tools needed to install. This small set screw will hold the rod fast once installed.
20240210_104437.jpg

20240210_110042.jpg
20240210_110050.jpg

The new windscreen is working out well. It gives me great wind protection.
It does induce a slight wobble starting around 75mph and gets worse towards 80. Thats good as I need to stay under 75 anyway.
Now I don't need to pay attention to the speedometer as much, just slow a bit when the wobble hits.

So I watched a video on adjusting the clutch and have a new issue. The 12mm locking nut is recessed to much for me to back it off and adjust the screw.
Any ideas?
20240511_144704.jpg
This is the video

Use a deep well socket to break it loose, then to retighten it when it's adjusted.
With it recessed that much, I suspect either the little ball is missing or the worm is clucked wrong. Either way I'd pull that cover and do a little inspecting. It shouldn't be recessed that much.

First of all, it's on backwards, lol. Use a socket to take it off and flip it around, then it will be easier to access. Then, get yourself a 12mm offset box wrench .....

View attachment 325633
Are you saying the nut is on backwards?
That's less than helpful.
I notice everyone else has a screw with a Phillips head, mine is a straight slot.

Yes, the nut is installed backwards. The shoulder on it should face in. That will put the "flats" on the nut out further and make them easier to access .....

1L9XS400-3.jpg

1L9XS400-2.jpg

Yes, normally the adjuster screw has a Phillips head, yours I'm guessing is an aftermarket replacement screw or whole worm assembly.

And how is this not helpful? If you want to struggle accessing the lock nut then fine, leave it as it is, on backwards, lol. I swear, there's no helping some people. I thought you may have learned your lesson a while back when you threw the chain, but I guess not. You've let it get all rusty and nasty again. This poor old bike, I'm surprised you haven't killed it yet (or it you), lol. I guess this is a good testament to just how well made these old bikes are.

Yes, the nut is installed backwards. The shoulder on it should face in. That will put the "flats" on the nut out further and make them easier to access .....

View attachment 325639

View attachment 325640

Yes, normally the adjuster screw has a Phillips head, yours I'm guessing is an aftermarket replacement screw or whole worm assembly.

And how is this not helpful? If you want to struggle accessing the lock nut then fine, leave it as it is, on backwards, lol. I swear, there's no helping some people. I thought you may have learned your lesson a while back when you threw the chain, but I guess not. You've let it get all rusty and nasty again. This poor old bike, I'm surprised you haven't killed it yet (or it you), lol. I guess this is a good testament to just how well made these old bikes are.
The not helpful remark is for the backwards nut, not aimed at your advice brother.:)

My shop guy is not being helpful making me think he wants me to disassemble the left side on the case and fix this myself.
I have misplaced my manual but I will find that and watch a few YouTube videos and get it figured out.
I have tried two different sockets and an offset 12mm to no avail. The nut is so recessed that I cannot get a bite to turn it.

I have a week away from him doing the Run for the Wall later this week, so Buzzy will have to wait till I return.
In the mean time, I need to order a new chain guard, mine is broken and has started eating the rear tire.
When it rains, it pours...
20240512_180641.jpg
20240512_180627.jpg
20240512_180615.jpg

Back