Just out of curiosity - Airplane Guys

Coolest planes are British...everyone knows that.
I question your statement since you left off one of the coolest, most badass planes ever conceived, built and flown. Do you even British, bro?
The de Havilland Mosquito.

mosquito.jpg

Dick Rutan, older brother to Burt Rutan, died yesterday at 85. The passing of another aviation great.
Dick is most known for flying the first unrefueled non-stop flight around the world. Of course, in a plane his younger brother built. He was also an Air Force pilot. Flew 300 "Misty" combat missions in Vietnam. Misty was the call sign for forward air controllers. Their job was to fly over a battle and try to draw the enemy fire so they could be marked for the strike aircraft. In other words, a flying target. Shot down once, it wasn't a job for the feint of heart.

Fair skies Dick.

https://www.military.com/daily-news...stone-when-he-flew-nonstop-around-world-dead-
85.html

1714935744783.png

Last edited:
I liked that he safety-wired the last nut and even bent the clip back. Somebody trained this mechanic well.

Pop quiz: how many times can you drop an igniter?
Answer: Only twice. Once on the ground and once in the trashcan.
Applies to recip spark plugs also. I'm guessin' you have an aviation background. Care to share?

Used to fly 'em. Can't pass a 3rd class anymore. Mechanic and avionics since '72. Air force, airlines, teacher and GA. I have a neighbor friend who owns a Decathlon and a Great Lakes, sooo... a bit of flying and mechanicin' there. About it though.

Only during the straight an' level stuff.... 😁
There's a handful of videos back in this thread somewhere with me in the front hole doin' loops and rolls an' stuff.

Back