XS2 Survivor resurection.

Update:
New owner picked up the title a week and a half ago. Got the title work and plates done also insured it. Last Wednesday he picked it up. We had 3 days of perfect riding weather. He texted me yesterday it runs great and the more he rides it the more he likes it. I think he's spending more time on it than he did his first girlfriend that said ok. :rolleyes:
It went to a good home so I am happy.

Like a bad penny it's back. When I got back from the Ozarks I had a phone message and a text from my buddy that I sold the XS2 to. He was out riding it and all of a sudden it developed a grinding/whirring noise in the engine plus some vibrations. He thought it was coming from the bottom end and mostly on he right side. He was able to limp it 25 miles home. He asked me what I thought, I said I think you have a problem. Probably a wheel has moved in the crank. One of the weights may have come loose and knocked things out of wack. Wanted to know if I would help him with it. Said sure give me a couple of days to get my shop organized and then bring it over.
Yesterday he hauled it to me and we looked at it. First thing I did was pull the left side cover and check for the rotor rubbing on the stater. Looked good. Started it and left end of crank looked good and true. The engine did have a grinding/whirring noise. Next drained oil and looked for sparkly stuff in it. Oil looked good. Ok off with the clutch cover. Fired it up and there was wobble on the right end of the crank. Pulled the clutch, took the gears off the end of the crank. Dial indicator said .0030 run out. Also noticed that it did not turn well by hand. Very stiff with a notchy feel as it turned.
Told him if you want to fix it only one thing to do pull the engine and tear it apart.
Six hours later it looked like a XS2 exploded in my shop. Some pics of it being worked on.
1715967467143.png
1715967523691.png
1715967571357.png
1715967611231.png
1715967666483.png
1715967705337.png

1715967747957.png
1715967792223.png
1715967834975.png

Like a bad penny it's back. When I got back from the Ozarks I had a phone message and a text from my buddy that I sold the XS2 to. He was out riding it and all of a sudden it developed a grinding/whirring noise in the engine plus some vibrations. He thought it was coming from the bottom end and mostly on he right side. He was able to limp it 25 miles home. He asked me what I thought, I said I think you have a problem. Probably a wheel has moved in the crank. One of the weights may have come loose and knocked things out of wack. Wanted to know if I would help him with it. Said sure give me a couple of days to get my shop organized and then bring it over.
Yesterday he hauled it to me and we looked at it. First thing I did was pull the left side cover and check for the rotor rubbing on the stater. Looked good. Started it and left end of crank looked good and true. The engine did have a grinding/whirring noise. Next drained oil and looked for sparkly stuff in it. Oil looked good. Ok off with the clutch cover. Fired it up and there was wobble on the right end of the crank. Pulled the clutch, took the gears off the end of the crank. Dial indicator said .0030 run out. Also noticed that it did not turn well by hand. Very stiff with a notchy feel as it turned.
Told him if you want to fix it only one thing to do pull the engine and tear it apart.
Six hours later it looked like a XS2 exploded in my shop. Some pics of it being worked on.
View attachment 326265View attachment 326266View attachment 326267View attachment 326268View attachment 326270View attachment 326271
View attachment 326272View attachment 326273View attachment 326274
I would love to have you as my neighbor. Better to have you in Mississippi than me in Illinois. This is all part of the joy of the hobby. There’s no stress or argument with the dealer over a warranty claim. @GLJ, you rock!

So, what are you going to do? Replace the crank with a good spare or try to fix the original?

We inspected the crank. The weights had not moved. The right side center bearing is messed up. There is definitely .0030 run out on the right end. My guess is the wheel moved and that's what messed the bearing. Seems like a strange thing to have happen running down the road at 50 mph. Doesn't matter it's bad. So we discussed options. I told him since it didn't run I would give him $500 for the bike. o_O He did not like that idea. Other option is send the crank off and have it rebuilt. I would not trust it without having the pins welded. If it slipped once it will do it again.
He said he had looked on E-Bay and there were a few. But you never know what your going to get. I told him when the used 256 crank store opened we can see what's available. He said what 256 crank store and when does it open? I told him it opens as soon as you walk over to that cabinet and open the bottom drawer. He found 2 cranks in it. We checked them and both look good. Wanted to know which one to use. I have no real history on either one I told him we will use the one that you pick. Tomorrow he's coming back and we'll start putting it back together.

Not sure but looking at the photo of the crank and weights it looks like they have rotated by the looks of the mismatched lines in the weights to left side of the crank. I have seen many loose. When I did mine I used a 447 crank with 256 rods and had it welded.

Not sure but looking at the photo of the crank and weights it looks like they have rotated by the looks of the mismatched lines in the weights to left side of the crank. I have seen many loose. When I did mine I used a 447 crank with 256 rods and had it welded.
I agree that the weights look strange. Below is a pic of the crank we are going to use. It looks very similar to the one we took out.
I looked at another bad crank I have (small end of rods went bad) and the weights in it look funky. Yes the very best thing to do would be rebuild the crank. If this one goes bad I may buy a 10 ton press and try to do one.
1715975850898.png

Back