Mechanical engineering project ideas

Scallywag303

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Im in an intro to mechanical class oddly enough and randomly with another member of this forum. We have to come up with a project, something that we can engineer and build that functions.

We're thinking a springer front end from scratch but seeing if any of you have anyother ideas. Doesnt have to be xs related or crazy complex but unique would be good. I was also thinking a compressed air vehicle out of a wagon or something. Or shoving an xs motor in a golf cart. We have access to lathes and mills as well...

My buddy made a working refrigerator for his mechanical engineering senior design project. It looked like shit but could hold over 100 beers.

How about an internally cooled six cycle engine? The first four cycles would be as usual, then the cycle following exhaust would have hot water injected to flash into steam to cool the engine and provide power. Use the thirty percent of energy lost to heat.

Centrifugal cannon? An engine/motor spins a tubular catapult inside a track as balls are dropped at the axis to become projectiles.

A suspended steering head for your motorcycle. Saw off the head and prepare being careful not to damage the serial number. Box the frame for suspension. Weld four pivots to the frame and four to the steering head. Four links attach the steering head to the frame.

Make an anti-dive for the front end of your bike. Mount the caliper to a movable arm that pivots around the axle. The end of the arm connects to a link rod which runs to the lower triple clamp. When the brakes are applied the forks collapse but the calipers move the arms which push against the dive.

Tom

I recently read about an unusual short-lived springer/girder combo. Unfortunately, can't find it now.
It had an interesting short-link lower springer-type rocker, no springs, looks and rigidity of a girder, solid tied to the triples like a springer. It had some problem with the lower linkage geometry, an interesting engineering challenge...

Back