my xs400 project

seniorsalazar

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
alright got my xs400 running today still needs quite a bit of work i.e drop seat, prob extend swing arm and clean up wiring and some other stuff. Going for a bratstyle/my own style on it. Its my first bike that i got from my wife, so far its been fun and its a blast to ride, thanks to all the gurus on here who have helped me so far. Any critisizm is cool with me, enjoy.

Attachments

• bike1.jpg
    bike1.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 207
  • bike2.jpg
    bike2.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 295
  • bike3.jpg
    bike3.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 218
  • bike4.jpg
    bike4.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 317
It's cool. I'd go for a smaller tank for a more proportional look. Maybe a bob fender for the rear. Use your imagination. By the way, I see the back of a 70-72 Monte Carlo in your pic. Oh my heart. A 70 was my first car!

lol yeah i actually have a sporty tank already but thinking bout running a 79 honda cl100 tank.

So far, so good...I really like the XS400's...I sold both of mine when I got divorced, but luckily they went to a good friend...If you are interested, EMGO shorty mufflers are on sale from JCWhitney right now...I think they are $21/ea right now...

got a lil progress done this weeknd did my drop seat and fabbed up this plate/light holder, i had to mount seat a lil further back for now cause had to drive home with stock tank which is huge sp that why seat looks funny but yall get the pic, but heres a pic with my sporty mocked up which will sit lower when actually mounted.

Attachments

• IMG_0289.jpg
    IMG_0289.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 222
just a lil small update on my lil 400, put some new bars on it which i believe i may chop down 2 inches, figured out some wiring, need to get my sporty tank mounted and run wiring through frame tubes and install rear fender but taking my time. Enjoy, cheers.

Attachments

• my bike.jpg
    my bike.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 169
K so my bike ended off looking like this which was cool but i wasnt really really happy with it

Attachments

• securedownload.jpg
    securedownload.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 199
So my buddy danny came by and we took it to the shop and after messing around it ended up like this, which im very stoked about first pic is bike on wood cause to low for kickstand, ill b fixing that this weekend and i moved rear shock mounts up 2 inches so it sits a lil higher, the 2nd pic is my buddy/fab guy sitting on it to see how we fit(short mexicans lol) and last pic is some random bum walking by and liked it haha. Let me know what u guys think.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 212
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 219
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 209
It LOOKS great, brother. Those shocks will never function like that though. Have you tried putting your weight on it and bouncing up and down a bit without the wood holding it up?

i agree on the shocks not working in at that angle but would it be great if they did hey maybe a gas charged shock off a four wheel drive truck would work ? i think im dreaming that wouldnt work either would it sorry

yeah we though about that thats why i moved the rear shock mounts and then rode it down a hill lol to see how it rode but i might just end up doing solid struts and hairpin springs on it.

its a mustang tank thats been widened down the middle by 2 inches, i thought bout the hard tail but i already have back problems so the softtail will be better for me.

ok bloodthirsty took your advice and i have to admit i love it, well anyways heres how it sits still need a lil more fab work and should be ready for paint. Let me know what you guys think, cheers!

Attachments

• benny.jpg
    benny.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 221
Wow, almost like starting over.. Completely different look! :thumbsup:

What about your back problem?

haha its still there acting up every now and then, but the plan for this bike is to finish qand sell it so i can build a xs650. so im hoping this will pull in a decent amount of cash to buy my new bike.

Nice lines, Im likin the 400!! If yer gunna chop it, you might well just CHOP that sumb!tch!!

Back