Using turning signals as brake lights also.

tbone1980

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I thought I would pass this on to those people who would like to use their rear signals as brake lights also. I decided that I wanted to also use my rear turning signals as brake lights on my bike but I wasn't sure how to do this without the turning signals not working while applying the brake at the same time. So I came across the article in the link below that showed me how to do it. It works great and really helps with visibility.

Article: http://vx-faq.thevuelta.com/TS-BL.html

The Converter I used: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Hopkins-48-in-vehicle-to-trailer-electronic-tail-light-converter/_/N-262o?counter=0&filterByKeyWord=%2348845&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=143546_0_0_

I tried about the same. The current draw of running all those bulbs takes away from keeping the battery charged.
I replaced everything with LED's to cut back the current draw but the converter don't like LED's. So I removed it.
The led's work great though.
www.superbrightleds.com
Leo

I am already using leds which I love especially seeing that I am running wi
PHP:
th one of those very small batteries. The trailer converter I bought along with the electronic flasher relay I have work great. So like you are saying Leo you need to get a converter that plays nice with the leds.

I was wondering if the cops would hassle you about having amber brake lights and I see he mentions it in the article. Cop having a bad day might.

In NY your turning signals can be red or amber so I run red ones so cops shouldn't be a big deal. Also I still am running a normal brake light.

Yes in NY the turns can be either color, but brake lights have to be red. So if you get your turns to work as running and brake lights they have to be red. Come to think of it I don't think thats a state thing, I think it's a Federal DOT thing.
On my Harley I bought a kit at the dealer that came with the plug and play converter and two red lenses for the turns signals. $59. In the after market the best price I found for anything close was $125 and that was justthe converter and it wasn't plug and play.You had to cut into the wiring to install it.
I really like the lights now. All three light as running lights and brake lights and still work as turn signals.
I might get the trailer converter out of the parts box and do some testing.
I might be able to add some diodes. When I used the brakes all the lights on the rear lit up fine but the right front turn signal lit up too.
Leo

In order to make sure that the front signals don't turn on when applying the brakes you need to wire them on the car side of the converter. Using the specific converter that I used along with the electronic flasher relay work very well with LED lights. Yes you need to splice this into your wiring but it really is pretty simple. Below is a link to a short video I took of the rear signals and brake light. I have the brakes on in the video to show that the signals work even though they are on.

http://xs650.posterous.com/rear-lights

Here is a wiring Diagram of how my turning signals are setup.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    38.8 KB · Views: 117
Back