Always have a spare clutch cable

xjwmx

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
They can break at any time and set in motion a chain of events that costs you $500, and sets you back a week, when it strands you at exactly the wrong time. Don't ask me how I know. But I do.

Sounds like you have an interesting and possibly funny tail to tell.
Leo

It boils down to the next month's rent being due the same day I was going to be gone.

So essentially I'm buying a $500 clutch cable because I didn't have a spare. I'll be gone as soon as it comes in. I have the delay and the expense both to piss me off.

So your cable broke and you can't move the bike so you are paying another months rent?

Pretty much, except it's more like the bike can't move me. By the time I worked through some alternatives I would wish I'd just paid. I can ride without a clutch, I was basically doing it tonight, but wouldn't want to leave the immediate vicinity like that.

I've thought of a way I can fix this tomorrow using one of those little barrels with a set screw in it. Maybe helped along with dab of solder. I'm not going to pay a month's rent for one or two days.

I'm going to flee and be a fugitive from landlord justice. Ain't gonna let 'em catch me no, ain't gonna let 'em catch the Midnight Riderrrrr...

I tried to order a Motionpro but the shopping cart there wouldn't work either. Good thing - because it would have been sent here. I don't know what cable is on it. Can't blame it on Mike necessarily. Might be the original Yamaha, 30 yrs old.

But I can add that it looks like it pulled out of the bead except for two or three strands, which just stretched instead of activating the clutch. It looked fine a couple mos. ago when I replaced the lever. The adjuster was out far enough that I think I'll have enough to work with.

Last edited:
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9190

See my last post in that thread. It is a simple $0.95 fix. I rode around on that cable all summer without any issues. I recently swapped it out for a ez-pull from 650cent, the only reason I did was due to the fact that I was swapping out my drag bars for clips and was having it tore apart anyway.

I still say this is a temporary fix FYI.

You can order te motion pro cable through most any independent dealer. I think I paid $12 for one about 6 or 7 years ago.
Leo

what do you do if you're going 60 on the interstate and your shift cable snaps in 5th gear? Do you just kill the engine and ride it out to a stop? does the back wheel lock up? just wondering.

Ride it out look for Exit back off throttle use brakes to stop call for help Not a good idea to stop on side of Interstate you could ride the shoulder if it has one.

what do you do if you're going 60 on the interstate and your shift cable snaps in 5th gear? Do you just kill the engine and ride it out to a stop? does the back wheel lock up? just wondering.

it stays stuck in gear....well, it will shift if you know how to...but it's not fun in traffic.

Riding a bike or driving a car is easy to do without a clutch. traffick lights are a problem, just get of those roads.

Shift cable? You mean clutch cable right? Just shift without it and don't stop. Up shifts are easy, down shifts take a bit of finesse.
Leo

Field fix for broken clutch cable:
Pull the outer cable.
Tie a wrench on the end of the inner cable.
Pull the wrench up to disengage the clutch.

I once ran into a guy riding his 500 Triumph around this way. He kept this up for months driving me crazy. "A cable is cheap, why don't you fix it?" "Why? The clutch works fine this way." Arg! }:^( Very frustrating at the time but proved to me that's the way to field fix a broken cable.

Tom Graham

Last edited:
Back