Easiest way to get the engine back in?

SteelToeJoe

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's all in the title. What is the easiest way to get the engine back in? I laid it on its side to get it out, is that the best way in? Everyone, share your engine installation expericnce please.

My friends are lazy and not into motorcycles so I'll probably be tryin to get it in solo.....who am I kiddin I ain't got friends lol.

I just pick it up and slip it back in. Laying the bare frame down over the engine works ok.
If you look in the XS650 TECH section under Unique and Home made tools you will find several tools that will help make engine in and out easier.
Leo

Beer is a good motivational tool for friends, even the lazy ones... :D

I usually just lay it on its side if its bare frame, or guard the frame pretty well and just manhandle the thing in there.

Yup. Brute force and ignorance...:D

When I took mine out, I had the tank off, side covers off, seat off, air boxes out, carbs off, pipes and mufflers off, front footpegs off, top engine mount completely removed.

Then I put the bike on the center stand, straddled it much like you would while sitting on it, picked the engine up by the head fins and lifted it out. I had a place prepared where I could set it down gently.

Didn't go as quickly as it might have 20 years ago, but it wasn't all that much of a strain either.

Plan "A" is to put it back much the same way. I'll let you know how that works out...:smoke:

i lift it on to the right hand bottom frame tube .put one arm over top frame tube and lift it in .bottom first once its in put trolley jack under sump to get bottom long bolt in. then have a coffee before fitting other mounts..

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Probably won't mess with it untill fiday. Looks like the general consensus is that the right side of the frame is the easiest way in.

Most jap bikes from the 70's and 80's are designed so that engine in and out is easier from the right side. Probably something to do with how the production lines were set up and routed in the factories, so that the workers always worked from the same side of the production line regardless of what bike was on the line. Probably also linked to the Japanese desire for the most efficient way of working and minimising wasted worker energy.

It's all in the title. What is the easiest way to get the engine back in? I laid it on its side to get it out, is that the best way in? Everyone, share your engine installation expericnce please.

My friends are lazy and not into motorcycles so I'll probably be tryin to get it in solo.....who am I kiddin I ain't got friends lol.

Don't do this job solo. That's a good way to hurt your back.

see post #65 on this link;
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37&page=4

Without a welded up tool or chain hoist, this is the easy and safe way to take engine out and in.

lift with your back in a twisting jerking motion.
i layed it down unbolted it and then lifted up the frame and the engine was on the ground. back in was a little more difficult lining up the holes...

Back