Matt's First mechanical endeavor. I'm hoping for the best!!!

fishhat

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey folks,

So here is the first post in what will hopefully be the build thread turning my entirely stock '81 Special into my very own brat. As you can see from my "work space" this is going to be a slow go.
2012-01-21082404.jpg

I have to do everything in one parking space in the underground parking garage of my apartment building. Further more, I have to have the project buttoned up every night so that I can park my car. As you can imagine this makes things a little difficult.

Here are some pics of the bike as it stood at the beginning.
2012-01-21082442-1.jpg

2012-01-21082545-1.jpg

2012-01-21082615-1.jpg

2012-01-21082833-1.jpg

2012-01-21082856-1.jpg

2012-01-21082910-1.jpg

The bike is pretty dirty, but it runs....sort of.:shrug:

Problem # 1 is the charging system. This bike has never charged as far as I can tell. After replacing numerous brushes and the rectifier/regulator, I continued to be frustrated by the erratic voltage that it was putting out. Sometimes it would work, sometimes (mostly) it wouldn't.:banghead: Along with the charging problem, the bike was idling at around 3500 rpm and backfiring. Having very little faith in my own mechanical abilities, I trusted in my friendly neighborhood classic bike mechanic. $500 (supposedly tune up, carb cleaning/overhaul, electrical system fix, and oil change) later, and I still had a bike that didn't charge, idled at 3500 rpm when the engine got hot, and backfired when I killed it. :wtf: Rather than continue dealing with that bull shit anymore, I went online and found this wonderful place. I settled in :popcorn: and did some reading. That's when I came up with the plan.

Stage 1: get the bike running properly.
Hughes Handbuilt PMA conversion kit (from Hugh himself)
Pamco ultimate ignition kit (from MikesXS)
Replace all gaskets (stage 1.5)

Stage 2: suspension brakes & controls
Clean up the forks (maybe do Hughe's polishing/shaving service)
clean up front brake (change pads/disc if necessary)
replace master cylinder
clean up rear brake
change bushings in swing arm

Stage 3: framework
brat kit from Visual Impact (anyone know a good frame guy in So Cal? I know nothing of welding)
Seat
New rear fender
Batteryless? (haven't decided on this one yet)

Stage 4: looks
Powdercoat (frame, engine, wheels)
wheels (spokes or powdercoat stock???)
new gas tank (not sure where I want to go with this, might just wander around a motorcycle graveyard for a while)
paint
headlight, speedo, tach
tail light/license plate

That's about it for what I can think of right now. I'm certain that the plans will evolve as things move forward.

To the progress so far....

As I've mentioned in another post ( http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15092 ) I had some initial problems figuring out the PMA install. As of tomorrow, that problem should be solved.

I tore into the electrical system this weekend. I installed the PMA, and opened the wiring harness so that I can immediately install my pamco and new ignition when it arrives tomorrow.
2012-01-22084031-1.jpg

My god there are a lot of wires. :yikes: Where am I going to put all this shit when I get the bike running again?

I'll post again tomorrow when I get the Pamco and ignition installed (and hopefully have the bike running again).

Any suggestions on ways to improve, or different directions to go in with my build will be happily welcomed. Thanks

Last edited:
That 'highway peg' setup looks lethal.

Good luck with the build. It's sad to see another perfectly good XS getting cut up but to each his own.

Welcome, sir! :)

Well, you have a plan, you have guts, and you have the best tech support available anywhere (here). So, my money says you'll pull it off. :)

TC

fishhat,

My hats off to you. :thumbsup:

Most of us at least have a dedicated shed or garage so we can just leave the bike in pieces overnight or even for a week while we wait for parts. We are all pulling for you and as TeeCat says, with that kind of determination, you will prevail! :bike:

congrats on diving in like that man. you got a good plan. and all those wires....not really needed. are you running turn signals, horn, starter? the amount of wires that i ended up with was so ridiculously small compared to stock its baffling.

That 'highway peg' setup looks lethal.

Good luck with the build. It's sad to see another perfectly good XS getting cut up but to each his own.
I'm not sure if "lethal" is a good or a bad thing in this instance.

congrats on diving in like that man. you got a good plan. and all those wires....not really needed. are you running turn signals, horn, starter? the amount of wires that i ended up with was so ridiculously small compared to stock its baffling.

I'm going to stick to a pretty stock setup until I modify the frame. At that point, I may get rid of the starter. I like the idea of what osteoderm ( http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13561 )is doing with the space for the starter. I'm waiting to see if he posts any updates on how that worked out for him. I do want to keep the turn signals and horn etc.

Good luck man! I feel for you as I don't have a garage either. I have to do all my work on the sidewalk in front of my house and hope it doesn't rain. The lookie loo's are the worst though. At least you have some privacy there.

I'm reminded of an Army tank mechanic that I met next door to me in a motel one dark and stormy winter night. He was traveling on leave with his wife and baby daughter when the head gasket blew on his car. He had been taught in the Army to always be prepared to work in very rough conditions, and this was no exception. He had a full set of tools with him and he walked down to the local auto parts store to get what he needed. He worked all night in the freezing cold right in front of his motel room in the parking lot. It rained freezing rain. It snowed freezing snow. The freezing rain froze to the car, the parking lot, his clothes and tools. The wind picked up and blew his hood closed on his head. He dropped tools under the car and had to crawl under the car to retrieve them, but by morning, I heard him start up the car and he and his wife and child continued their journey. So. Another accolade for the members of our armed forces. They are the best. :thumbsup:

So. I got the Pamco conversion kit in from Mikes Monday afternoon. Started install around noon on Tuesday. Around 7pm after 5 spur of the moment runs to the hardware/autoparts store, I finished my last wire cap and plugged in my last connector YAY!!! Then I started putting the bike back together to fire it up. As I'm attaching the gas tank, the fuel line breaks off of a weird little conic filter looking thing
2012-01-25120602.jpg

I can't seem to find this filter thing anywhere :cussing: A hose/pipe comes off of the petcock connects to this filter :cussing: which has another hose/pipe on the bottom which connects to the "T" pipe, starter connecter (yamaha part # 3G1-14988-00-00) which connects to both carbs.

Could this be some unnecessary after market part???:wtf:

I'm ready to get it running and the last thing I have to hook up snaps. ugh....

That weird little conic filter thing is the fuel filter and can be found at just about any hardware store or auto parts store. Look for the small ones for lawnmowers.

Already picked one up, as well as new fuel line. Got it installed, running, got the timing squared away. Quick question on timing. Should I have my timing mark in line with the "TDC" mark, or the "Fire" mark? Either way, I timed it to the "TDC" mark (seems to be running fine) and:bike: IT IS RUNNING!!!

However, the headlight is not working. I removed the fuse a long time ago in order to conserve juice when I did drive it. Now...nothing. Will it never end?

Props to the civilians too. You don't have to be in the Army to do that ;)

As for cutting up your motorcycle, can't you find a more secluded place? Like renting a garage or garage space nearby? You will eventually want good light and etc. The way you're spending money you should be able to do that.

Did my first official ride today. First thing of note is the jacked up petcock. Turns out that the the tank gets emptied entirely when on "primary". Sadly, I had to learn this fact out in the fast lane of the 101 freeway. After this little hickup, I did 65 miles without any major problems. I calculated my mileage at 39.5 (wondering why this is so low with people reporting 60). The only other concerns worth mentioning were the clutch slipping and the vibration in my forks. Also, the backlight in my tach has randomly gone out.

I got my replacement gasket kit from mikes the this weekend. Is it possible swap all of the gaskets without taking the engine off the frame? I am starting to think that this is going to be more of a project than I had initially thought.

nope. you can undo everything and have it tilted out of one side. but sitting straight in the frame you wont be able to get the head cover off.

fishhat,

Before you go through all the trouble to replace the head gasket and bottom cylinder seal, try replacing the big rubber washers on the outer cylinder head bolts with the copper washers from MIkesXS. Worked for me.

New priority! My clutch is beginning to REALLY piss me off. No matter what gear I am in, or how fast I am going, the clutch slips on me. Any time I try to suddenly increase the throttle. Why can't it just run perfectly?

Back