XS650 Single

ReycleBill

Part Time Tyrannicide
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, so it's another of my wacky ideas but has anyone ever considered that it's possible to replace or modify the cam (a rephasing of sorts) so that both cylinders of an XS650 fire at the same time?

I've no doubt there would be more vibration this way but big singles have gobs of torque and can be operated at very low speeds without over lugging the engine. It seems to me that firing both cylinders at the same time would "in-effect" turn the XS650 twin into a big thumper.

Horsepower would probably drop and the redline might need to be lowered but turning the twin into a pseudio-single would allow for taller gearing for street use or stump pulling torque offroad. Agreed?

Best I can tell, the wasted-spark ignition system already in place on a stock XS would need no modification and only the cam would have to be changed. And anyone who can rephase an XS to make it a 270 or 277 engine would have no problem making or modifying the cam.

Thoughts? You know, besides, "Billy, you're an effing idiot!"

That was a fairly common mod to a Honda 305 Scrambler. Called it a "twingle".

Had one years ago when I was stationed in Japan. Shake the fillings right out of your teeth, but it'd climb a cow's face.

Yeah I am all for YOU trying this! Sounds like fun and it's rather easily reversed. Might be rather hard on the "damper springs" on the back side of the clutch. I think a cush drive rear hub would be a good idea too.

only way your going to find that out iis trying it :p what do you want it for anyway?? just because? if so can you lower the compression?

Yeah I am all for YOU trying this! Sounds like fun and it's rather easily reversed. Might be rather hard on the "damper springs" on the back side of the clutch. I think a cush drive rear hub would be a good idea too.

Yeah, I'm thinking the clutch would need to be a lot tougher than stock.

And if not a cush drive hub then a belt drive secondary.

Bore & Stroke stock 75 x 74 mm times 2 pistons but in this configuration the "effective bore and stroke" would be 150 X 74, would it not?

I'm thinking a good "single" would need to have a bore and stroke closer to square.

Yeah, I'm thinking the clutch would need to be a lot tougher than stock.

And if not a cush drive hub then a belt drive secondary.

Bore & Stroke stock 75 x 74 mm times 2 pistons but in this configuration the "effective bore and stroke" would be 150 X 74, would it not?

I'm thinking a good "single" would need to have a bore and stroke closer to square.

Actually to calculate the equivalent displacement (volume), you use V= Pi R R H. Works out to 1 cylinder of 106 mm bore and 74 mm stroke.

My Honda XR650R with counter balencers was a smoother ride than the XS twin is in stock form. It was a torque monster too. Johnny Campbell, who raced Baja for years on one said "it's to fast too quick". I imagine in the XSs case you could reconfigure crank counter wieghts (as in adding more wieght, you could do it with depleted uranium slugs) to help smooth it out. My dad's old 500cc BSA single was a smooth runner too, and didn't have the fancy counter wieghts the Honda has. I say go for it, wouldn't cost nothing but a cam and gaskets.

It has been done there was bike at the 650 central site left side scroll down to flatrack bike. Someone had a cam for sale on Ebay about a year or two ago. big bang have fun

Actually to calculate the equivalent displacement (volume), you use V= Pi R R H. Works out to 1 cylinder of 106 mm bore and 74 mm stroke.

Why are you guys doubling the radius and not the height? (bore/2 and not the stroke)

Back