Clutch not disengaging, sticky plates?

Tyler Jay

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
'78 7-plate clutch
Swapped to single long pushrod. Both balls in place.
New cable oiled.
Tried all sorts of left-side adjustment.
Pressure-plate and basket aligned correctly.

Bike is stuck in gear. Clutch is not disengaging and the amount of movement is equal to this video.
Should my plates be noticeably separating?
Like the video, is the clutch being pushed-out far enough?

When I removed the clutch plates, I noticed the friction plates were sticky and continue to have some resistance when detaching from the steel plates even after cleaning. SAE 20-50 was used last, should I try something thinner?

Also, the kickstart gear assembly is removed, does that have any affect on the clutch?

When I did have the bike running and put into first, I could release the clutch all the way out only for the bike to barely creep along so It didnt seem like the clutch was fully engaging.

Any help before I start buying all kinds of parts (like friction plates and push screw housing or a whole new clutch basket) would be great! ;)

That video looks good to me. 20-50 should be just fine. Only thing I can think of is are you using auto oil? You have to use motorcycle specific oil or diesel oil without friction modifiers.

Yeah it's motorcycle specific oil.

Upon removing clutch basket I noticed I'm missing "I" (or I lost it taking it off)
clutchh.jpg

That and I sanded the steel plates lightly and i'll slap it together again...

Missing washer "i" shouldn't affect how the clutch operates. It doesn't have anything to do with the hub spacing. The domed "lock" washer "j" is more important because it helps keep the nut tight. Make sure you have all the other washers correct, the ones behind and between the hubs. They do affect the spacing and operation. Here's a bit better color coded diagram .....

ClutchWashers.jpg

Thanks for that 5twins. I made sure I had all other washers, reassembled, readjusted and still no dice :/
Anyone know where I might fine that "I" washer 2.6mm thick? Nothing at autozone or home depot...

Posted via Mobile

I just noticed that you are from Austin. You must have just added that to your profile. PM me your email, and I'll give you my number, and you can swing by for that washer.

Is it possible for the bike to be stuck in gear and the clutch not affecting the gears or the ability to roll it?

Right-hand-side-cover_web.jpg

This is the RH case off w/ clutch basket removed. Does this look normal? I can't seem to find anything in my manual about it, but it looks as though the spring-tab should fit into groove to the left, much like the kickstart spring. Can anyone confirm this?

You may have to turn the engine while you shift. Not sure where your engine is at this point. If it's in the frame, try rolling the wheels. If it's out of the frame, try putting a socket on the rotor nut and rotating it while you shift.

It's still in the frame. I tried rolling it around and was briefly able to get it to a position where it shifted through all the gears, rolled it around some more and got stuck in gear again. Not sure where to go from here.

Last edited:
Perhaps not a clutch issue afterall? Here is a video of my shifter/tranny not fully actuating.
It only realigns after I hand-turn it, rolling doesnt affect it. Any ideas?

Back