How did you do mount your brake light switch?

missile150

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Can a few of you builders post a picture or two of how you mounted your brake light switch to your rear brake. I have a pivot on mine and I have some ideas, but a picture may be just the thing I need to see how it has been done. Thanks.

I am using a Hydraulic Banjo Bolt Brake Switch from the master cylinder...

http://www.mikesxs.net/product/29-7002.html
29-7002.jpg

I hope that helps :)

Here's my setup.

I used the mounting block that comes with the TC Bros forward controls and Hugh's mid-mount pivot kit to create a compact setup. This allows me to swap over to forward controls down the track if required. My biggest priority was to keep it tidy and practical.

The brake switch is a Lowbrow unit that is easily fine tuned to activate precisely by way of the simple hose clamp arrangement.

I literally just completed the wiring mock up upon the bike with the system working perfectly.

6504577417_cc03b88ddd_b.jpg

Thors Hammer Yamaha XS650 Bobber

Cheers

Steve

http://inmotionphotogxs650.blogspot.com.au/

Those are great. I will be using the hydro one one the front, but mid was my concern. I did not think the vertical setup would work well for me, but I am going to reconsider that. It looks compact. I was just concerned with how it looks with two springs so close together.

I built forward controls, so my pivot is a little different. It also sets back a bit from my lower rear motor mount, so I do not have the cross bar under the bike to work with.

This is how I thought I would do mine as well. I was just concerned with how the two springs would look next to eachother. I guess that is my vanity speaking.

Here's I fabbed mine up:

6001973028_bc37994516_b.jpg

6001424609_1905f89094_b.jpg

6001972656_b8d517acd4_b.jpg

I think I am going to mount mine to the outside of the frame as well, instead of on the top of the tube. But I am going to put mine in front of the pivot, between the frame tube and the forward control braking connector bar. (If that makes sense.)

On another note, I am going to run a hydraulic brake switch on the front. But that is the easy one.

I'm using the rear hydraulic switch as well. If you don't want to use a spring etc, it should not be difficult to make a small bracket to hold a micro switch. Those are available in all kinds of sizes and with levers on them to make pretty much anything you want. Just a few of the many types out there:
1085506445.jpg

They are also available weather sealed.

I chose to do it this way, but I am not happy with it. So it will be cut off and mounted the way I had first decided. Between the frame and connecting rod. I think it will blend in better.

2012-04-18204611.jpg

Here's a better shot of it.

Once you weld on a tab to hold the spring, it's not too hard to find a spot to get the movement. Doesn't have to be more 1/8"-1/4" to activate the switch.

IMG_1911.jpg

Here's a better shot of it.

Once you weld on a tab to hold the spring, it's not too hard to find a spot to get the movement. Doesn't have to be more 1/8"-1/4" to activate the switch.

IMG_1911.jpg

MINE is a copy of TAMPA's except with the mid pivot point due to foward controls. IF I can ever finish my paint i'll mock it up and post ya a pic.

The piece that the brake pedal attaches to that pivots, where are people getting them from? The bike I just bought has the tube mocked upfor the brake pedal but no brake linkage or hardware. Thanks

Back