B model rear brake switch replacement

AlanW

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got a new rear brake switch for my 1975 650B but I’m having trouble working out how to get to the spring on the pedal end to remove the old one and connect the new one. I don’t have access to a bike lift so if anyone has suggestions for how to to this I’d be grateful. Thanks.

I'm having trouble visualizing the '75B model set-up atm, but I'll take a stab:

The switch itself has an expandable plastic nut and sits in a tab that has a split opening. If ya pull the whole switch up out of the split tab and slide the rod/spring through the opening, it dismounts the switch and allows enough slack to wrangle the hook on the pedal end to come out its hole. Install in reverse...

If that don't work post back here

Got the old switch off - left the original spring on the brake arm at the mo cos its a bugger to get to. Might re-attach to the new switch - be easier!!! Next question - 3 wires on the loom - yellow, brown (these math the switch), plus blue/red which seems surplus to requirements?

Two wires sounds about right for the brake switch - and one yellow, one brown matches my 1979 SE, sounds like they stuck with that.

The brake light switch should have brown in, yellow out: only two wires. The blue/red is a brake lining indicator and supplies ground through a brake lining switch that ends-up at a dash bulb. (Wiring diagram in Tech Section under electrical)

Back