Xj650 No spark.

Gonzo

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I recently bought an 81 maxim. The previous owner started to remove the airbox, leaving the battery and electronics dangling in the wind. A mounted the electronics under the seat, and built a stainless battery box. When I tarted to start the bike it wouldn't fire. After pulling the electronics up to check the connections it fired up and ran unroll I flipped them back down to mount again. Now it won't start in any position. Could something not be grounded that should be? Or is it possible something is grounding that shouldn't? Im getting continuity from the generator to the igniter, and from the igniter to the coil. But I have no spark.

Posted via Mobile

did it run before you "fixed" it?
sounds like a connection loosened up, a fuse popped , or grounded a wire that isnt sposed to be grounded. take it all back apart, and clean all connections, check for wires that look like kinky hair, or....wiggly looking? hard to describe.

It did run, and ran after the alterations for a moment. I have continuity from the pick up to the igniter, and from the igniter to the coil. Would a relay grounding out cause it to fail? And is there a relay in the ignition circuit?

Posted via Mobile

From what you say it runs with the elecgtrics hanging but not mounted. To me that sounds like when mounted something is grounding that shouldn't.
Try rubber mounting your electrics to prevent them from grounding.
Also check that when you roll the electrics down to mount that no wires are being pulled to tight and coming unhooked.
Getting a wiring diagram and repair manual for the bike will help you troubleshoot it.
Leo

Is it possible that I can use my cdi from a yx600(radian) if I use the box and connectors from the radian? Something inside the maxim cdi is grounding out.

Back