Speedo has the shakes !!

Member267

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey folks,
Finally got my 1975 Yamaha XS650-B back together and running. This time I think I have things right:thumbsup:. Still along way to go, but it is ridable and nobody has backed over it lately. First thing I notice is the tach and speedo needles jump around. At 55 the speedo is rock steady, then it it'll start jumping around from 60 to 80 and back & forth and the tack does the same above 3500 rpm. I have tried the obvious stuff, lube the cables, threaten it and cussing at it. No improvement.

Ideas ??

pics of the project so far. are at http://www.bikepics.com/members/johnmw/75xs650s/

the color is just what I had around the shop, and subject to change.:shrug:

Thanks for your time

John

did you pull the inner cables out to check for kinks/wear? Else, it's in the internals, and more riding might eventually smooth it out.

My tach and speedo do the same, the tach cable is BRAND NEW.

Seems they have gotten a bit better past 300 miles, so I am thinking like Sundie, more riding = less wobble.

Irritating none the less!
Probably check out how things look in the gauges when I pull them to do bulbs.

You won't be able to see anything. the gauges are sealed. You have to take the glass faceplate off to get into the innards.

By the way, don't spray penetrating oil, or anything like that, up into the gauges thinking that will help. It actually *does* help the mechanism. However, if it gets around to the 30 year old printing on the dial, it will soften/remove/destroy it. So you'll have a rock steady needle, but no idea what it's pointing to.

I had this speedo apart awhile back, cause of several dead bugs inside. I had no idea what I was looking at in there, so I didn't mess around with things, just dumped the bugs. Think I'll look around for someone who does this type of work. It aint no biggy, just thought maybe someone may have known a quick fix.

Thanks

john

I've got a cheap $10 bicycle speedometer strapped to the handlebar. I had a buddy follow me in a car as well and the stock gauge was reading at least 6mph too fast. The bike speedo works fine, albeit with a second or two delay.

My speedo got the "shakes" a year or so ago too. But it was the face that came loose! The 2 screws holding the dial face in place vibrated enough to back completely out. Imagine that? Anyway, I haven't figured how to remove the bezel and glass from the rest of the speedometer.......... Anyone know of a provider equipped to remove the bezel and glass to allow access to the face so screws can be reinstalled?............

I have the same screw problem at the moment - because I left out the rubber mountings when I changed the bulb! The way to get inside is painfully obvious.... And once in, I'm not going to touch anything in there, except to put the screw back in.

As for the swinging needle, my tach started doing that after I had it off for some reason I forget. Letting it sit on a bench for a couple days upside down seems to be what did it. Putting it back on and just ignoring the swinging for 500 miles fixed it good as new again :)

To get the glass and seal off you need to pry up the bezel ring where it is bent around the body of the gauge, easier on the metal bodies than the plastic.
Once you get the bezel and glass off, fix the screws snug but not tight, to tight and the face cracks, a drop of lock tight will hold the screws.
Now comes the fun part. Put the glass and seal in place. Slip the bezel ring back on. Bend the bezel back around the body.
You can also get heat shrink tubing large enough to work. Cut a 1/2 to 3/4 inch peice of the tubing, fit it around the gauge in place of or over the bezel, apply heat.

Back