New XS Owner Electrical Problem!

chaPPy88

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Just Recently purchased my first motorcycle, A 1979 XS650. Miles are unknown, but compression test shows good on both cylinders, I have no spark at #2 spark plug, both NEW points are sending power to #1 plug, also purchased new condensors and a float. Carbs check out fine, 12 volts to both coils. So i have fuel and spark to cylinder #1 but the bike still wont run, got it to hit a few times but no start. Im new to this kind of setup so any help would be greatly appreciated! Also both points are hopefully in time, went by the book on this. My leg is dead from all the kicking today...lol. Another this is when i hit the electric start it kill all the power to the bike.

BUMP, i crossed the wires from the #1 coil to #2, number 2 now sparks, but 1 doesnt. Faulty coil on 2? Can this bike start on one cylinder? Thanks.

Can both points send only fire to one spark plug if a coil is bad? Ive checked all the wiring and this is the conclusion ive come to.. Im new to this so dont bash me too bad! Thanks

chaPPy88 welcome to the site.
I can't really be of help but there are several who can and will eventually.
While you are waiting, I'll bump you back to the top.

Thanks weekendrider, glad to be here, It sucks to be stumped on something that could be simple, I just purchased this bike and the PO says he hasnt done anything with the bike in 8 years, he says he parked it because he got a new bike, i was leary of the problems but for the price im glad i made the purchase, they really are COOL old bikes.

hope your using a new battery,could have dead coil or plug or lead,rember stating a c model that had sat for years had spark had fuel no go,put a small amount of oil in each cyd gave a few kicks put plugs back in & away it went,if you are buying a new coil you might want to consider a twin plug coil from mikes or ditch the lot & fit a Pamco good luck keep trying ps should run a 1 cyl ok

Hi Mate,

Sounds like you have a dud coil. You must have a fully charged battery as everyone is saying to start the bike by starter motor. I'd also check the spark plug leads too.

All the best

Crackers61 from Oz

The spark plug leads are good, the right side coil is toast, but i have a fully charged battery and the starter still clicks killing the oil and neutral light when hit, have to turn the key on and off a couple times to regain power, another question, with contacts ignition can i run a dual lead coil, part #OEM Reference #• 30400-306-672• 4M4-82310-60-00. It says single contact points conversion? Any help greatly appreciated!

The spark plug leads are good, the right side coil is toast, but i have a fully charged battery and the starter still clicks killing the oil and neutral light when hit, have to turn the key on and off a couple times to regain power, another question, with contacts ignition can i run a dual lead coil, part #OEM Reference #- 30400-306-672- 4M4-82310-60-00. It says single contact points conversion? Any help greatly appreciated!

Yes, you can run that dual lead coil with points. With the stock set-up of 2 sets of points, you simply tie the 2 sets of points together in parallel. The points will fire the coil every time the pistons come up to the top of the cylinders. One cylinder will get a spark on the exhaust stroke..............called "lost spark" ignition.

Back