check your breather...

CDNTX650

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Figured out what was not helping my smoke problem. PO decided to block off the breather by stuffing it with ear plugs. One must have poofed or fell out and one sucked in....Bike was smoking on the left only....then both tonite when i ran it. sometimes at idle it wasn't bad...then other is was terrible. Then i noticed it was really making an odd sound....flash light up the breather and i see yellow foam.:D

Got to love clueless previous owners. :laugh: As a side note, if you ever do anything stupid to your bike and it screws up something, blame it on the PO if you can :D

After years of seeping oil, it dawned on me that perhaps my breather was plugged.
Mine is the large 2 nipple type. It has 3 plates
1 screen with holes that fits flat against the head when installed.
2 a concave plate with a hole toward one end
3 a flat plate with a cresent shaped hole with a tab spot welded.

The 3rd plate was positioned so the crescent hole was downward, and the tab was at a 90 degree angle. I decided it was upside down, as this position would pretty much block all the air to the breather tubes. I put the hole side up and bent the tab to a 45 degree angle, which I figure should help deflect liquid oil, and still allow the air to pass.

The second plate with 1 round hole I installed with the hole downward. I figured this would make the mist from the engine travel down to get through plate 2, then upward to the crescent hole on plate 3, then out to the tubes.

The engine is no longer seeping oil. I do not know if the way I positioned the plates is correct, but there is now more pressure out the tubes and there does not seem to be excessive oil being blown out onto the pods or frame under the side covers.

Another thing I was not sure of was that only 1 of the 2 tubes in the breather had a rubber plug. The Right side, when sitting on the motorcycle did not appear to have a rubber plug. The Left did. The amount of pressure at the end of the breather tubes is noticeably different.

I could find no photos or diagrams of how the plates and plugs in the 2 tube large breather are meant to be installed.

Back