XS2 Left Handlebar Switch

jb_supermoto

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just trying to figure out if the left switchgear on my XS2 is correct or not. There is no switch for turning off the headlight so I wasn't sure. I got the bike this way so no idea if this is correct or not. Can someone tell me if this is correct for a 1972? or post a pic of the correct one so I can locate one. Seems to me it should have an on/off switch. But it also should be black as the throttle side is black. thanks!

JB

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 252
That is not a 72 XS2 switch. I don't have a picture handy but the correct switch has the on/off switch parallel to the high/low beam switch.

I have a 71 not a 72 so I'm not positive on the color for yours. Two part numbers are listed in the fiche for a 72

235-83972-00-94 SWITCH, HANDLE
306-83972-00-98 SWITCH, HANDLE FROSTED BLACK

The top one is the bare aluminum one found on the earlier bikes, bottom one says black. If I had to guess I'd say there are 72s out there with either color. They were always changing things mid model year in the early days.

ah yes.. the frosted black sounds like what I need. The other side is the frosted black and seems original since in has the compression release/starter lever in it. Mine is probably a late '72 since my VIN is about 28,000 past the begining numbers. Thanks for your help Greasy..

In the wiring diagrams the 72 and 73 were the same and no headlight on/off switch, it came on when the key was turned on.
Leo

1970 thru 1973 had the headlite on/off switch on the left hand side. Later years had it on the right side. The headlite on automatically was federally mandated in 1978. As was pointed out, the 70 and 71 had a polished aluminum left hand switch assembly and 72, 73 had a black switch. The switches are the same except for finish so you can remove the paint and polish or paint a polished switch as needed. The 235 switch was also used on some of the 2 stroke twins of the period such as the DS6 series. That might make it easier to find one.

Back