cleaning engine

bewndocksaint

XS650 Member
Reaction score
finally hav the engine out of the frame. wondering if theres a way to clean all the grime off without tearing it apart. i hav it on an engine stand and want to give it a wash down. just wondering how or what to use. thanks

I cleaned mine in phases. First I sprayed it with engine degreaser and scrubbed it with a toilet brush. I let it sit for a while and then got out the high pressure sprayer and sprayed it off (careful to avoid intake and exhaust ports, i stuffed those with rags and tapped over them as well). Next I made a soda blaster and spend an hour or two blasting it (went through about 3 boxes of soda). Then I washed it again with HOT soapy water and toilet brush. Final inspection with a pick and towel. Before paint I used marine degreaser as a final cleaning.

I don't know much except for the fact that soda blasting is the way to go, did it to my engine and turned out very nice. Have three more engines to do.

Baking soda?

Can you post us a picture with the result?

How much soda is used for 1 engine? is it possible to use it twice?

I usually spend a day or two with wire, brushes, petrol/white spirit soap etc....
Fed up with this method..Like the idea of soda blasting ..How do you make a soda blaster?

To get the grease of I have always used Gunk and a selection of stiff brushes. Once the grease / oil / grime is off, you can establish the next course of action - Soda blast / paint / polish / or leave as is

Back