I would like your opinions on engine storage.

Bob Wegman

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I have a spare engine for my 80 XS650 that is all apart and cleaned and ready for assembly. I am not planning on using it for a couple years. I don't necessarily want to leave it unassembled with all the parts wrapped in plastic bags and stored in containers in a friendly environment, because things then are vulnerable to get misplaced or accidentally (by someone else) disposed of. I am thinking I would lightly lube everything and assemble the engine just finger tight on the fasteners and maybe leave the piston rings out so they don't rust to the cylinders. That way if I need a part for the main engine I would have it in stock. Or, I could finish assembling it to running condition, even though it may never be put into service.
What is your opinion of best way forward?

I would build it lightly lubricated, I had one one the bench for a year when I opened it up because I wanted some parts the one half cylinder head had gone rusty

I wouldn't use the old rings..... if the bore is within specs... I'd score a set of standard rings.. now... and put them aside... a mix of STP and oil...on pistons... cylinder walls.... cam surfaces... some guys use old fashion grease.... mark the cam bearings... place in a marked zip lock bag with oil.... coat combustion chamber.... go as far as to remove valves.... place in marked zip locks.... this takes tension off the valve springs... coat valve guilds... some guys over fill the case with oil.... place everything in heavy garbage bags..then cover with a heavy duty lawn bag ... place it off the floor.... if possible, inside a locker.. away from grinders etc etc... I've had a few units... Xs and Cb Hondas that sat for years.... and started.... no issues.... 😎

If you can build it ready to go, that's what I would do. If you need it, it's ready to go. If you decide you're never going to need it, it's ready to go to someone else.

I think I would leave it apart .. Well lubricated and in marked boxes / bags Dry warm storage.
To much work to assemble + gaskets and seals and so
Even if not tightened something can go wrong.

Is is simpler to move around if not the whole is to be moved at the same time

Spray fogging oil in the spark plug holes and the intake/exhaust ports(to coat back of the valves) back off all the valve adjustments, then roll the crankshaft around until all four rockers are loose(all valves closed).

IMG_3926.jpeg
IMG_3927.jpeg
I too use engine storage spray to fog the combustion area internals. I’d apply a good coating of oil on the bottom end. On my car engine, for long term storage I also remove the valve covers and apply assembly lube to the cam contact surfaces. That stuff sticks well and offers good lubrication when the motor is eventually started up. Picture of a recent application of assembly lube on a car engine.

I,d read through the tech section on bringing an old engine back, lots of info there.
Reverse the potential problems before they occur.
Biggest problem being cam chain guide delamination.
Put it together. Maybe tighten but not torque the head fully???
If you can put it on a stand and kick it over now and then it'll help.
Oil in the cylinder s
Plug off all openings tight.
Navel jelly on exposed steel.
I would clean bag and tag the carbs seaporate.
Maybe someone here knows a wax or such to keep the aluminium from oxidation.
Relax the engine like Mike in Idaho suggests.
I,m sure others will chime in. :)

Back