Advance bob weights and springs question?

Looks like you've got it squared away now. Since the advance backing plate is just raw steel, you'll want to keep it lubed for protection against rust. I just brush a light coating of motor oil on it. Not too much, just make it shine. Any excess will just be flung off by centrifugal force as the unit spins and make a mess inside the housing. The first time I service one of these and have the weights off, I'll lightly grease the pivot posts when putting the weights back on. After that, to keep things lubed, I'll apply a little foaming chain lube to the posts after a ride while the bike is hot (better penetration). I also put a few drops on the springs as well. You're looking to avoid this scenario, lol .....

BadAdvanceUnit.jpg

Looks like you've got it squared away now. Since the advance backing plate is just raw steel, you'll want to keep it lubed for protection against rust. I just brush a light coating of motor oil on it. Not too much, just make it shine. Any excess will just be flung off by centrifugal force as the unit spins and make a mess inside the housing. The first time I service one of these and have the weights off, I'll lightly grease the pivot posts when putting the weights back on. After that, to keep things lubed, I'll apply a little foaming chain lube to the posts after a ride while the bike is hot (better penetration). I also put a few drops on the springs as well. You're looking to avoid this scenario, lol .....

View attachment 267319
Thanks. I assure you the auto advance on this bike is definitely not going to look like that one. Not on my watch anyway ;)

Progress :)

Unfortunately it was uneconomic to have the auto advance springs made locally. What a shame.

Anyhow, today the Chinesium springs that I ordered arrived. The picture is the stretched original and one of the new Chinesium ones. Obviously, I had to turn one end through 90 degrees to suit the auto advance mechanism. So - I fitted one new one and kept the apparently good original. I fitted two new E clips and I reckon it's good to go. Judge for yourself in the video (edit animated gif instead). The end of the new spring distorted a little when twisting it through 90 degrees. But if fits just fine. Subject to checking this with a timing light, I'm calling this a victory.

1000001664.jpg

1000001666.gif

Last edited:
Back