A Special for a Winter Project

lakeview

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
20230915_110101.jpg20230915_110544.jpg
Saw this on Kijiji, drove 67 litres round trip to get it. Nice exhaust, dual discs, new tires, new "Mike's " mini white face speedo and tach, new bar switches, nasty knock in the motor.
Seller fell victim to his p.o.'s rendition of an oil pressure gauge that fell off while he was riding to his driving test and bike dumped its oil all over the road.
So here it is showing off its mug shot before I get at it. There's a sharp almost bell like metallic knock sounds to be coming from the left front of the head, but it starts easily and does not smoke. Before I brought it home, I pulled the valve covers hoping for an easy fix. The gaps are roughly in spec and there is oil that I can feel on the rocker arms etc. So now I'm thinking a rod small end, but I will do a compression test and look at the screens before I take it apart. Too bad, because other than that, it could be on the road.
The tank is pristine inside and the side covers were nicely decluttered. Even has the airboxes and a factory tool kit!
It will be my fall/winter project with the intention of making it a rider for spring, without the low bars.

Last edited:
View attachment 251415View attachment 251416
Saw this on Kijiji, drove 67 litres round trip to get it. Nice exhaust, dual discs, new tires, new "Mike's " mini white face speedo and tach, new bar switches, nasty knock in the motor.
Seller fell victim to his p.o.'s rendition of an oil pressure gauge that fell off while he was riding to his driving test and bike dumped its oil all over the road.
So here it is showing off its mug shot before I get at it. There's a sharp almost bell like metallic knock sounds to be coming from the left front of the head, but it starts easily and does not smoke. Before I brought it home, I pulled the valve covers hoping for an easy fix. The gaps are roughly in spec and there is oil that I can feel on the rocker arms etc. So now I'm thinking a rod small end, but I will do a compression test and look at the screens before I take it apart. Too bad, because other than that, it could be on the road.
The tank is pristine inside and the side covers were nicely decluttered. Even has the airboxes and a factory tool kit!
It will be my fall/winter project with the intention of making it a rider for spring, without the low bars.
Ah yes, I remember talking with him on facebook...that was a bummer of a deal for him for sure.

I'm interested to see how this turns out.

Good luck with that one.
Ironic that an oil pressure gauge on a bike that doesn't require or run much oil pressure nearly caused its demise.
It just goes to prove, some folks just cant leave what the original engineers and designers built alone, they just have to mess with them....not always for the better. :shootme:

Back