First Engine Teardown Ever... Why Is Something Missing?

Nick87James

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just started tearing down my xs 650 engine out of my 81 special, and after taking off the covers i discovered there is no ignition advance unit.... Is this a common occurance?
And why would the previous owner remove this?
Please be gentle if I am overlooking something...Thanks:thumbsup:
IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

The PAMCO is a very reliable points or TMI box replacement. Easy to install too. Former TCI motors will need to get an ATU to make it work. Use the search feature to research more info and form your own opinion.

This would be a good kit. Comes with what you need to convert the TCI motor to Pamco, as well as better dual ignition coil.

The stock TCI unit is a quality electronic ignition that uses an electronic advance instead of the mechanical advance of points ignition. A working TCI need not be changed!

Tom

Last edited:
Also just to be stickler the electronic ignition used on the XS650 was never a CDI, It was a TCI.
The CDI is a Capacitive Discharge Ignition. It works by charging a big capacitor, then discharging it through the coil to create the spark.
On the TCI or Transister Controled Ignition, it works very simular to the points. It controls current flow through the coil with a transister instead of the points. It has alot of other things in the box, like timing advance as well as circuits to protect itself from to high a voltage.
The points open and close, the transiter turns on and off, both turn the coil on off.
Now as others have siad the points were used from 70-79, in 80 they started using the TCI. Here in the US anyway. Other places used the points a few years later.
Leo

Back