OK, I am going to order vm34s

Scrambled

Motorcycle Man
Reaction score
So, when I order my carbs from 650 Central is there anything else I need to order so I can install them or anything that you would recommend I get in addition to what comes with them ?

Shouldn't need anything beyond what 650 Central includes in their kit. It's pretty comprehensive and the best part of the value is the free tech assistance.

You could piece the bits together for maybe $375 or so on your own, but the extra $60 or so is well worth it to get it all from one place, have proper vacuum barbs on them, support 650 Central and get his assistance. A bargain really.

I for one like the VM's a lot. Easy to fiddle with on the side of the road if need be, and no rubber bits to worry about. I've had them on my XS for a few years now, and am running 34's on my 750cc rephased motor.

Get yourself a set of mercury tubes or dial gauges to sync the carbs.

BTW I'm in Toronto - maybe we'll see you one Thursday night at the Tim Hortons Lakeshore / Leslie.

Thanks, I do need a new gauges and a few other tools. I was going to buy the PWKs from Mikes/Direct, ( trying to save a buck ) but I see to much negative feedback on them ( was going to use the money I "saved" to buy a PMA, but that can wait. )

Did you go for the racing intakes or just what they come with ?

Yup - skip the PWK's.

Honestly the standard intakes are your best bet. I recently put on billet lengthened intakes on my XS, and gave up the vacuum barbs as a result. My carbs don't have the vacuum barbs installed right on them the way the 650 Central carbs do. He adds those.

I put my billet intakes on because I had them, and they were made specifically to match the porting done on my head. When I first put them on, I used a short section of silicone rad hose and pushed the carbs back about 10mm. I've since shortened the hose as a) the bike is running rich and I wanted to reduce the impact of the lengthened intake and b) with the carbs pushed back, I lost access to the air screw on the left carb.

The air screws on both the left and right carbs on the right side of the body, and pushing the carbs back put it right behind the frame downtube. So I couldn't reach it with a long screwdriver anymore. Pulling them forward a little bit has now let me see it again.

I'll drill my carbs for vacuum barbs this fall to properly sync them. Up to now I've just 'bench' synced them by making sure the slides are adjusted the same and move exactly at the same times.

You can actually reach both slides with one hand with the filters off, and feel them move together to confirm they rise at the same moment. Once I get to this point and set the idle at exactly the same amount (using a 7mm drill bit in the intake) and set the air screws, the rest I do by ear while riding.

My carbs on my bike from last weekend in Alabama (Barber's). This is with the longer intakes. I've shortened them now so you can't see the red hose at all. Need thinner clamps to do it right.

DSC_4611.jpg

I've got one of the single barb breather units on this engine, which I modified to allow proper breathing (enlarged the holes etc.). The single hose runs to the catch can you see under my seat which is made by DWMS Racing.

http://www.dwmsracing.com/emporium/products.php?2&sid=6ed9fa0876192037e34020f81f7ff4dc

I modified the catch can for larger 1/2" brass fittings and put a UNI filter on the end. There's just one hose and catch can - the photo kind of makes it look like there are two.

Some people just stick a filter right on the breather unit itself, but I had the catch can handy. Others run a hose and one of the PCV valves MikesXS markets.

When you order from 650central get intake manifold gaskets also. They didn't come with the aluminum mani's and carb kit I ordered from 650. The aluminum manifolds have a groove cut in them that you might be able to just use a o-ring for sealing, if you can source the correct size. The closest thing I could find was actually a rubber slip joint washer for sink drain pipe.

When you order from 650central get intake manifold gaskets also. They didn't come with the aluminum mani's and carb kit I ordered from 650. The aluminum manifolds have a groove cut in them that you might be able to just use a o-ring for sealing, if you can source the correct size. The closest thing I could find was actually a rubber slip joint washer for sink drain pipe.

Oh, I would have missed those for sure. You would think they would throw the gaskets in when you buy a set of carbs as a kit.

You will not regret dealing with 650 central & a pull up choke on the right carb is nice addition.

I figure that by buying quality components and upgrading everything possible I will be able to spend more time riding and less time wrenching . The stock bs38 carbs work ok but they seem to need constant adjustment , and I don't think there is any way to get better performance from my bike with those carbs. The VMs should give me ( I hope anyway) more usable low and mid-range power .

Back