Shift Fork Guide Bar

pythonregius24

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I am in the process of reassembling the shift drum. I noticed that I don't have the shift fork guide plug( no. 18 on the exploded diagram), so i figured I would just go ahead insert it in, thinking that the plug could had been left in the hole in the case where the fork guide bar would go into. I tried to push it in as far as I could, hoping it would stop to a point that it is flushed with the cases(Looking at the right image, the guide wasnt flushed.)

Questions:
1) Should the fork guide be be flushed when installing?
2) Where can I purchase the the plug( no. 18 on the exploded diagram)? I looked on Ebay and all the shift drum sets doesnt even have the plug.
57A-361D519323EA-5075-000009335EBE9E84_zpse74831d1.jpg

not sure about the earlier motors but here is what i got on my '83. no plug is listed on the 83 fiche.

here is my shaft with NO plug (insert beavis and butthead laugh)
A0B8A6E3_zpsb702d722.jpg

the shift shaft has a small notch towards the end of it that holds the plate stopper like so. i did notice that there seems to be room for a plug at the other end of the shaft. without the plate stopper the shift shaft could keep going into the case about another 1/4" or so...
B48DC8AF_zps4df17c45.jpg

Ahh..makes sense! I looked at the diagram of later models, they don't have the plug. Hmmmn...I don't know if I should go ahead and just install it. Good thing I found a dealer that has that discontinued part though!

Ok! Finally got the obsolete PLUG(#18 on the diagram in the first post) I ordered from a Yamaha Dealer in PA. I thought this was going to be a male type that plugs into the hole of the shift fork guide bar. Anyone knows how is this supposed to attached to the bar?

8E8-F220FE5B5266-5471-000007E5F293F3E4_zpsf05d8be6.jpg

Ok got the plug in there, but it wouldn't go in easily. I know that it has to be press, but I don't have access to one. Can I just hammer it in?or that would damage the case?

i'm still not convinced you actually need that plug. the shift shaft part #'s are the same for all engines. maybe the cases are a little different but it seems like all that plug is doing is filling space. if you are bent on using it you will need to get it deep enough in there to still allow the shaft notch to hold the plate stopper at the other end.

You know what? I think I'm just gonna go ahead and install it without the plug. When I took it apart, it didn't have the plug. I just wanted to do it right.

if thats the shaft that holds the shifting forks then it should have a bung in the end or you'll lose all the oil that feeds the shifting fork bearings .

My79 2F has a rubber bung in the end ! there is a thread somewhere about this , apparently its quite commonly overlooked or left out when rebuilding engines.
Now where have I seen it .......:shrug:

ah there ya go http://thexscafedotcom.wordpress.com/2012/09/05/xs650-little-fault-big-problem/

Last edited:
if thats the shaft that holds the shifting forks then it should have a bung in the end or you'll lose all the oil that feeds the shifting fork bearings .

My79 2F has a rubber bung in the end ! there is a thread somewhere about this , apparently its quite commonly overlooked or left out when rebuilding engines.
Now where have I seen it .......:shrug:

ah there ya go http://thexscafedotcom.wordpress.com/2012/09/05/xs650-little-fault-big-problem/

No, it's the other side of the shaft but thanks!

No, it's the other side of the shaft but thanks!

well why didn't ya say !:D

here ya go ...other other side

You need this bush to close the engine casing hole that the end of the selector shaft locates in or you'll lose all oil pressure that feeds the fork bearings . I think the shaft supplies something else via a gallery in the casing too but I can't remember now :doh:

Attachments

• gear selector shaft bung.JPG
    gear selector shaft bung.JPG
    248.5 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:
thanks peanut for the pic, it all makes sense now... here is a shot from my '83 case. looks like mamayama decided to just weld up that end and forego plug...

C044EAD2_zpsb54ede3e.jpg

Back