I want to change my fork oil..

NeopolitanSliceCream

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I need some advice. I want to change my fork oil but am unsure about my forks? I have a chopped up 78 SE. There is no top cap, just a retaining clip with a plug. Do I remove that like I would with a normal threaded cap? I have to put some good pressure on it to push it down to where I could remove it from the stanchion.

any help is appreciated, thanks.

I attached a couple photos. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• IMG_20231216_162244.jpg
    IMG_20231216_162244.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20231216_162250.jpg
    IMG_20231216_162250.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 33
Yeah I'm confused on that. I haven't seen this style before.

But it's a 650 front end to my knowledge, 650 wheel, triples, everything. So I'm not sure.

The guy I bought it from said it was a Honda front end but he had the bike built, so I'm not sure if he knew what he was talking about.

I'm in the process of stripping some XS500 forks for parts, that's why I mentioned them. They have tops just like that and are 35mm tubes so would swap into later 650 trees. The bottoms look the same as 650 forks so I'd think a 650 wheel would fit right in.

I can try and gets some more pics of them later. The fit the wheel and caliper like factory. It's interesting if they are.

Another issue came up though, both threads for the fork drain plugs are stripped.

I'm gonna pick up a helicoil kit I think. I could tap out to 8mm but I risk fucking it up worse, I can always do that after trying helicoils anyway so it should be okay. But stupid shit all around lol.

Maybe your forks aren't Yamaha ones after all, maybe they are from a Honda. All the 650 and 500 Yamahas I've dealt with use a small Phillips screw as the drain plug, which I eventually replace with an Allen .....

FrontAxleNut.jpg

AllenDrainBoltHairpinCotter.jpg

Maybe your forks aren't Yamaha ones after all, maybe they are from a Honda. All the 650 and 500 Yamahas I've dealt with use a small Phillips screw as the drain plug, which I eventually replace with an Allen .....

View attachment 257735

View attachment 257736
Wow, they must not be then. Huh. They are different on the bottom. Ill try and get some pics tmr.

I kinda wanna find an OEM set now.

Looking at sets on eBay mine look fairly different as well. Caliper mounts different etc.

Found the best pics I have. If you could maybe identify them? Not sure. I believe I have factory calipers? But I'm not 100 percent sure now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-12-18-00-46-46-006.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-12-18-00-46-46-006.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_2023-12-18-00-45-50-350.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-12-18-00-45-50-350.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
For thinking out loud is it not possible to drain them from the bottom ( XS 650 ,which this was not ) If I recall right there is a larger Allen screw that sometimes can be loosened ..It can spin not coming loose
Or do I remember wrong ?

For thinking out loud is it not possible to drain them from the bottom ( XS 650 ,which this was not ) If I recall right there is a larger Allen screw that sometimes can be loosened ..It can spin not coming loose
Or do I remember wrong ?
Yes it is. That is the damper rod bolt. I got that out fine. After stripping the threads trying to install the drain plug back in. U can drain that way, but the drains exist so you don't have to. Untill the soft alloy strips. Then you gotta remanufacture the threads. Ugh

I'm not too worried about the forks. Just worried about finding parts for when I do a full rebuild? They don't seem to match any of the models I've looked at online. And they don't match any factory 650 I've seen either.

Can't find a Honda with matching forks either. I'm stumped. If you could point me in the right direction that would be great :)

I added pics to my other reply. Thanks

I'm not too worried about the forks. Just worried about finding parts for when I do a full rebuild? They don't seem to match any of the models I've looked at online. And they don't match any factory 650 I've seen either.

Can't find a Honda with matching forks either. I'm stumped. If you could point me in the right direction that would be great :)

I added pics to my other reply. Thanks
If you have the forks apart, I would measure up the various service parts like seals etc.... Then you know what to order. I would rebuild them with new parts anyway if I had them apart.

If you have the forks apart, I would measure up the various service parts like seals etc.... Then you know what to order. I would rebuild them with new parts anyway if I had them apart.
How do I measure the seals? I know that sounds dumb, but do I measure like inner and outer dia. Etc? And like height and stuff. Im a little confused tbh.

How do I measure the seals? I know that sounds dumb, but do I measure like inner and outer dia. Etc? And like height and stuff. Im a little confused tbh.
Yes. Inner diameter (measure the fork stanchion diameter) outside diameter and thickness. Take note of any dust seals and clips in there. All this stuff is readily available as long as you have sizes. I really wouldn't put a set of forks together without new seals. HTH.

Yes. Inner diameter (measure the fork stanchion diameter) outside diameter and thickness. Take note of any dust seals and clips in there. All this stuff is readily available as long as you have sizes. I really wouldn't put a set of forks together without new seals. HTH.
Okay. The seals were good and soft. No leaks, but I'll see if they compare and try and order some new.

Successful helicoil. About to do the other side. Anyone have any idea what forks these are? I got a pic of the casting marks. Im stumped.

Attachments

• IMG_20231218_192052.jpg
    IMG_20231218_192052.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20231218_192047.jpg
    IMG_20231218_192047.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20231218_191504.jpg
    IMG_20231218_191504.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 20
Back