Oil Filters

notmoving

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yo, yo, yo!

I have a 79 XS650. I need to do an oil change. I see on the forum that there is a sump filter as well. Would you please tell this steel-horse-riding-babe-in-the-woods what a sump filter is? And where do I find the filters on my bike and tell me whatever else I need to buy.

Also - my bike backfires more than the local congregation at last Fall's chili-eating contest! Any advice to fix this is appreciated.

- Mark

YO,YO,YO off to tech you should go!
https://www.xs650.com/pages/tech/
here’s the sump. IMG_2833.jpeg

Yo, yo, yo!

I have a 79 XS650. I need to do an oil change. I see on the forum that there is a sump filter as well. Would you please tell this steel-horse-riding-babe-in-the-woods what a sump filter is? And where do I find the filters on my bike and tell me whatever else I need to buy.

Also - my bike backfires more than the local congregation at last Fall's chili-eating contest! Any advice to fix this is appreciated.

- Mark
Stock OEM sump filters 'sometimes' have a habit of self destructing. The angled end has flat straining material, the remainder is pleated. The flat section sometimes tears There is a replacement available from China that is pleated around the entire circumference, These should stand up better. I've only replaced mine, so early days.
A couple of pics, first shows where the damage occurs, second shows the Chinese replacement filter.

Attachments

• 1-oops.jpg
    1-oops.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 26
  • s-l960.jpg
    s-l960.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Be advised, to check and clean or replace the sump screen, you have to remove the six bolt sump cover. You must apply no more than the recommended torque to those six bolts. If you go gorilla on them, they will snap off.

Hi. Where are the filters located? I looked all over my bike and best I can figure is they are on the underside, near the drain plugs. Am I right?

Well, a manual or the right YouTube video. I got it! Thanks, jetmechmarty, Mikey and nj 1639 for the comic relief. (Mikey, do you think you own half of this town?) That video helped me to locate the main filter, too, 'cause I was definitely unscrewing the wrong bolts in the wrong spot! Figure I'll replace my brake pads while I'm at it. Thanks much....

Okay, now it's some minutes later and I can't get the calipers to release. I've replaced pads on a few cars but this is my first time on a steel horse. Help?

Last edited:
Pretty much all the service and parts manuals are available for free download from the XSCafe here .....

https://thexscafedotcom.wordpress.com/2011/01/10/xs650-manuals/

You will probably need to compress the brake caliper piston back into the caliper body a little to create some space and get it off. Usually you can just push the caliper sideways (inward against the disc) to do this. The caliper mounting bolt is a shouldered chrome steel bolt fitted through a rubber sleeve and should slide in that sleeve. But they can seize up and need cleaning and fresh lube (a rubber friendly lube of some sort).

Well, a manual or the right YouTube video. I got it! Thanks, jetmechmarty, Mikey and nj 1639 for the comic relief. (Mikey, do you think you own half of this town?) That video helped me to locate the main filter, too, 'cause I was definitely unscrewing the wrong bolts in the wrong spot! Figure I'll replace my brake pads while I'm at it. Thanks much....

Okay, now it's some minutes later and I can't get the calipers to release. I've replaced pads on a few cars but this is my first time on a steel horse. Help?
Trust me I'm no mechanic but I can unbolt and bolt with the worst of them
It just takes a while to learn about the basic maintenance steps
I learned a lot on here and some things i just don't try
"Do no harm "

Thanks for the link and advice! There is only one mounting bolt, right? I read on another thread here about a #5 five screw. I noticed on the back of the calipers there is a screw in the center, but each is difficult to get to and they look like they're dedicated to the calipers themselves and don't it any way attach the calipers to the frame.

2 mounting bolts there 8mm? Anyway there both the same size the calliper attaches to the fork tube that way

Look at the other fork tube and you'll see the 2 attachment points

:cheers:

Attachments

• 20240222_185707.jpg
    20240222_185707.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 20240222_185649.jpg
    20240222_185649.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 25
Hi. As you can see, there are two bolts on each caliper. One is for the brake line fluid. Regardless, I bled the lines and removed both, but the calipers will not budge. You may notice a port on the top of each caliper, which flips open, but I can't suss out why they're there.

Attachments

• IMG_20240223_113651_441.jpg
    IMG_20240223_113651_441.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20240223_113716_606.jpg
    IMG_20240223_113716_606.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 22
Hi. As you can see, there are two bolts on each caliper. One is for the brake line fluid. Regardless, I bled the lines and removed both, but the calipers will not budge. You may notice a port on the top of each caliper, which flips open, but I can't suss out why they're there.
The little windows are for inspection of pad wear, nothing more than that.

You have to remove the caliper bracket from the forks, then flip it around and take that little Phillips screw out of the back. Then the caliper will separate from the bracket. The pads will remain on the bracket as they have slots on their sides that lock them on to it. That little screw on the back fits into a hole on top of the inner pad and locks the caliper to the bracket. From a recent pad change on one of mine .....

FerodoPads.jpg

FerodoPads2.jpg

FerodoPads3.jpg

Back