Engine removal.

This is the way I did it the first time. Subsequently, I used 2 long pipe lengths and did similar to 5Twins which I prefer now.

Glenn

Attachments

• image1001.jpg
    image1001.jpg
    386.1 KB · Views: 73
  • image1002.jpg
    image1002.jpg
    384.7 KB · Views: 69
  • image1003.jpg
    image1003.jpg
    348.2 KB · Views: 71
  • image1004.jpg
    image1004.jpg
    388.6 KB · Views: 69
  • image1005.jpg
    image1005.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 69
  • image1006.jpg
    image1006.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 67
Not going to happen, can neither lift engine or frame. Doesn't matter anyway, crank sprockets are not available, so I'll probably strip,the bike and sell whatever parts I can and dump the rest. No market for XS650s here.
After all that work you put into it, what a bugger.

I am planning to pull my engine soon.
I have 2 boys that still live in the house to help removing and replacing engine so I will do the 2 pole stretcher method.
For connecting the engine to the poles, any simple ideas as I don't plan to weld anything.
I could drill through the pipe and make eyelets to go to bolts though or connect w/ chains from eyelets to engine.

I wrap the frame with rubber strips from old cut up inner tubes to keep from scratching it. My original removal/install "tool" was just a couple of "handles" that connected to the engine. With a helper, we could lift the engine like a stretcher and wiggle it in and out of the frame. This worked well but you need two people .....

View attachment 252026

View attachment 252027

Eventually, I built myself a one-man removal/install "cart". It's based on an old shopping cart I pulled from a ditch on the side of the road out in the country, one of these smaller types .....

View attachment 252028

It's all man-powered, no hydraulics, just using simple leverage to lift the motor. The lift handles I previously made slip on the lift bars and act as extensions to give the needed leverage .....

View attachment 252029

Both ends of the pivot bar can be adjusted up/down to get the perfect height .....

View attachment 252030

View attachment 252031

Simple hooks made from 1/4" bar stock hook under the cart handle to hold the motor lifted as you roll the cart in .....

View attachment 252032

View attachment 252033

It works quite well ......

View attachment 252036

View attachment 252037

Strong boys? The stretcher is unnecessary. The boys can easily pull the engine out the right side. Simple!
One weight lifts and the other has already developed a "dad bod".
I have a recovering sprained left hand so I'm about 25% strength on the left side.
I'm ok with stretcher as I have the pipes already from work.

Yes, eye bolts through the pipe would probably work just fine. You might want to wrap some rubber around the front one as it contacts the front of the motor when you lift.

just use 1" ratchet strap with or without the ratchet block. Wrap tightly, tie or ratchet out the slack. Plenty strong, takes up little room, won't scratch paint.

Old man's lift.
20210524_095209.jpg

I’ve had good luck using a bike jack under the frame. Once the engine is suspended and free I roll the frame away from the engine.

just use 1" ratchet strap with or without the ratchet block. Wrap tightly, tie or ratchet out the slack. Plenty strong, takes up little room, won't scratch paint.

Old man's lift.
View attachment 256155
This is the way...work smarter, not harder.

I had a slip and fall accident several years ago, broke my back and severely whiplashed my neck.

I cant lift anything without being in neck and shoulder pain for days afterwards (even 5 gallons of gas will do it!!). So now when I need to lift engines I use an electric harbor freight winch attached to underside of my loft with appropriate straps/chains. That way I can do it in controlled baby steps...works a charm every time. đź‘Ť

Strong boys? The stretcher is unnecessary. The boys can easily pull the engine out the right side. Simple!

Yes I think one is enough
I don't have particularly strong arms . I Made a small stool ..of 2 x 4 planks Nailing it together the right height having beside the bike
A little higher than the frame tube
Holding my chest against the upper frame tube saving the back -- one arm on each side -- and then lift with the arms Step by step getting it out on the stool. Can have some protection on the tube if one wish I don't
Keeping it simple -Works for me there are good places to grip the engine.

I was planning to move it over onto my bike scissor lift to start off with.
Straps: I have straps I can wrap around the poles to the bolts I run through the front and back engine mount holes. Thx

Yes I think one is enough
I don't have particularly strong arms . I Made a small stool ..of 2 x 4 planks Nailing it together the right height having beside the bike
A little higher than the frame tube
Holding my chest against the upper frame tube saving the back -- one arm on each side -- and then lift with the arms Step by step getting it out on the stool. Can have some protection on the tube if one wish I don't
Keeping it simple -Works for me there are good places to grip the engine.
I've done 20 or more, exactly that way!

Back