Getting this bloody engine out?

toglhot

First class butcher.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I made a crane thingie to get the engine out. It will lift the engine, tilt the engine and then roll it out of the right side, problem is there is insufficient space between engine and frame to move the engine sideways and out of the frame

I've lifted and tilted the engine so the rear lower mount will just scrape over the frame tab. The rear rocker box mount protusion is just touching the frame in the scalloped area in front of the top, rear frame mount. The protrusion on the frame for the lower mount looks like it might just scrape between the engine mount protrusion and the starter motor mount, but the front of the engine where the cases join won't clear the front downtube, nor will the sump filter cover. Argh, very annoying.
It's looking like I may have to strip the bike and lay the frame and motor on it's side to get the damn things apart.

Attachments

• WIN_20231013_16_49_39_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20231013_16_49_39_Pro.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 62
  • WIN_20231013_16_49_54_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20231013_16_49_54_Pro.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 62
  • WIN_20231013_16_50_10_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20231013_16_50_10_Pro.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 62
  • WIN_20231013_16_50_24_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20231013_16_50_24_Pro.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 62
Well, I made a crane thingie to get the engine out. It will lift the engine, tilt the engine and then roll it out of the right side, problem is there is insufficient space between engine and frame to move the engine sideways and out of the frame

I've lifted and tilted the engine so the rear lower mount will just scrape over the frame tab. The rear rocker box mount protusion is just touching the frame in the scalloped area in front of the top, rear frame mount. The protrusion on the frame for the lower mount looks like it might just scrape between the engine mount protrusion and the starter motor mount, but the front of the engine where the cases join won't clear the front downtube, nor will the sump filter cover. Argh, very annoying.
It's looking like I may have to strip the bike and lay the frame and motor on it's side to get the damn things apart.
Ya buddy! If it works,it works. 🧐👍

That's the problem, it doesn't. There is simply not enough space between frame and engine bits and pieces.
XS 650, a good ad for Brit bikes.

. . . problem is there is insufficient space between engine and frame to move the engine sideways and out of the frame . . .
Odd. Mine came out with no damage to engine or frame.

Tilted it slightly forward, then lifted slightly, tilted right, then lifted it out.

Maybe your neighbors who were kind enough to test ride your bike could give you a few hands getting it out? They are awkward trying to do with one person while the frame is upright.
Last time, I did it with my son-in-law. Before that, my 25 year old neighbor. It couldn’t have been easier for me. Now, get off my lawn!

Pulling the starter motor will give a tad more up and down wiggle room. If they'll come out easily enough, pulling the exhaust studs will give a tad more front/tilt room. Those two should be enough to do the trick.
My setup is similar to yours as far as how it fastens to the motor, but was suspended instead of wheeled. Haven't had to pull a motor with it yet, but installation went well, without touching the paint. Did it with the starter removed...

1697209813960.png

Yes, the motor needs to be tilted to the right as well as forward. I had to re-work the attachment brackets on mine, slim them down, to get it to work, especially the front one. Here's my front before .....

LiftBefore8.jpg

..... and after .....

SlimFront2.jpg

LiftFinished13.jpg

LiftFinished15.jpg

When I lift the engine, it naturally tilts to the right, and the more I lift, the more it tilts .....

LiftFinished12.jpg

LiftFinished2.jpg

My ‘72 frame is much tighter and with a little wiggling it went right in. I can’t remember having any difficulty with the ’74 up design, in fact it went in much easier than I thought it would. I used straps and a cable winch. Are your device arms too wide to allow movement fore and aft?

Yes, your front arm in particular may be too wide. I used solid round bar stock which probably provides a bit more clearance as opposed to square tube. Plus, all the adjustability on mine, both front to back and up and down, no doubt help.

Over thinking, constructing, a strap looped around the head is all you need. Used to just straddle bike bend over and lift em out but I'm old now and use the hoist..
KIMG4775.JPG
the strap lets you tilt, wiggle engine in all directions as needed, simple one man job.
Even works on porky Honda motors.
20210524_095209.jpg

Sounds easy, but out of the question for me, no elbow joints left and fingers don't bend anymore. That's why I made the thingie. Thingie is a technical term by the way. But I do have an engine crane, so I might just use that, ef the efin paintwork.

Yep, undo, tilt forward and slide . Exhaust studs out helps but I’ve done it both ways

Younger me straddled the stripped frame and lifted, now I sling it with a series of straps and an engine hoist

But, if you get it stuck, a couple of bars helps to jimmy it

I used a motorcycle jack and six ratchet straps. It's in my 74 TX build thread (link below). Earlier in the thread shows the same method taking the engine out. It takes six straps because you have to add two straps on the far side while taking two off of the near side so that the straps don't hang-up on the frame. It could be done without the jack, but it would take more fiddling with the ratchet straps. Two straps are attached to the outside exhaust port studs (with nuts to keep the strap hooks on) and two to the rear upper engine mount bolt, also with nuts attached.

https://www.xs650.com/threads/74-tx650a-project-–-aka-“the-parts-bike”.59372/post-710456

It took about 1-1/2 hours doing it by myself. I would definitely do it this way again.

The sling I use is an old judo belt - no idea where it come from - passed under the engine lengthwise and gathered in a knot above the head, plus a loop passed around the block to prevent the whole caboodle falling sideways. Hook, chain and pulley - which gives a mechanical advantage of I fink 6:1 - hanging from a garage rafter. And while I prefer to have an assistant, have been able to remove an engine meself.

First time I took an engine out https://www.xs650.com/threads/miss-november-xs2-tribute.55057/post-601591 lifted it bodily but, uhm, never doin' that again . . .

Last edited:
Back