Extend the life of your handlebar levers

TwoManyXS1Bs

BBQ Hunter
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I love Magura levers, acquired a set in 1975. But, control levers eventually wear-out at the pivot hole. You can either replace (if you can find them), or try to bush the pivot hole. But if that pivot hole is already worn, good luck drilling out in original location. I like to bush levers before mounting, the hole is already in the right place. With a lathe, bushings are easy. Otherwise you can get hobby brass tubing of the right size, cut to length, drill lever for press fit. Now, if the bushing wears-out, it can be replaced.

Can't find original Magura levers for the XS1s anymore (cable front brake with stoplight switch actuating pin), and the eBay 'factory reproduction' levers don't fit into the perch. Then found eBay seller 'motorcyclepartsonly' occasionally sells a Magura copy with plastidip coating. Ordered a pair, they fit, almost. Had to file a little on the stoplight switch pin to fit the original switch.

Pic 1 - Magura lever from 1975
Pic 2 - Lever pivot hole fitted with brass bushing
Pic 3 - New 2013 Magura clone, with coating

I'm not sure if I like the coating, may order another pair and see what's under there...

Attachments

• Magura-1975.jpg
    Magura-1975.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 282
  • Lever-bushing.jpg
    Lever-bushing.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 281
  • Magura-2013.jpg
    Magura-2013.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 267
I'm not sure if I like the coating, may order another pair and see what's under there...

I bought a clutch lever with a coating and I just sliced it and took it off so it would match the other. I'd bet yours is fully finished under there too. It's just that plasticoat type stuff.

Back