Valve adjustment after new valve job.

gwcoyne1147

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
77 xs 650 punched to .020 over and head valve seats had to be remilled. mikes heavy duty valves. 500 mile break-in up. Will the stock valve clearence setting still apply? If not, how do I set them up. Runs really good but seems one of the valves sounds noisey compared to the others. Any ideas? Stock ingnition.

Something I would recommend to all members doing valve lash adjustments, is to unscrew/remove the tappet adjuster before setting the lash (takes only a moment) and inspect the tip for cracks, broken-off chunks, and wear. Given the age, previous owner neglect, improper oil, and just plain history, these tappet adjusters can be wornout and/or needing replacement. The tappet ends were hardened at the factory, and relied on the zddp additive of the day to cushion them. There is a service on eBay that will regrind, not sure if they harden them. A skillful home machinist can regrind and case-harden. All my tappet adjusters were chipped, made noise, and were reground/hardened, noise reduced to normal.

Back