Floridas Vertical License Plate Law. $1000.00 first offense fine.

EvenmoreXS

1981 XS650
Reaction score
I've recently gone to a vertical tag for my bike. Rear axle mount. Upon doing some research Ive hit a bump. A grey area. I havent been able to verify whether its legal or not, I've seen yes, no, and maybe...sometimes....it depends... The way the law is writen is Vauge and evolving. Last year the law stated vetical tags were only legal on mopeds and motorcycles in Florida if you had a paid and current Sun Pass toll transponder. This year, the site still list 2012...i guess no updates for laws in 2013 ......the site says that vertical tags are legal but you are bound by the law s. 316.1001 which basiclly says you cant use a toll road for free. Gotta pay. It doesnt say you HAVE to have the Sun Pass toll transonder. One of two reasons, either vertical tags are legal, or they are illegal without the transponder and the state govt. doesnt want you to find out until after the traffic stop. No other reason to be so vague with the wording.

Quote from website:

" Notwithstanding the authorization to affix the license tag of a motorcycle or moped perpendicularly to the ground, the owner or operator of a motorcycle or moped shall pay any required toll pursuant to s. 316.1001 by whatever means available. "

Links:

http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2012/316.2085

http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2012/316.1001

I will be trying to verify "WHAT" the law actually says and what you can expect. I know a few local cops, as well as the guy who did my training class was really cool and a local cop. Straight shooter, he wont bullshit me, just gotta get him on the phone.

I will post back once I have a difinitive answer. I have a concern that this law may not be Specific and left to the state, city, to decide each one as they occur individually, essentally allowing them to interpret the law differntly each time as they see fit. Thats not a law, thats and open ended form of revenue that affords citizens no notice as to what is and isnt Illegal.

$1000.00 bucks for a first offense for a vertical tag in Florida. Why have that kind of a fee if it was legal?

Last edited:
Confirmed by a local Sgt. in charge of traffic officers here in tallahassee, vertical tags are legal in florida. No need for the sun pass card. He suggested that I print and keep the statutes with me in case I am pulled over for it.

This makes me want to put turn signals on my bike though. Dont want to get stopped for one thing and ticked for another. Gonna try to avoid that if I can.

Hope this helps someone in Florida. If you want that vertical tag, go for it. PRINT THE LAW, have it with you.

Ride on..................:bike:

Odd plate placement is not for me. :shrug:

I want to have the least number of discussions about my motorcycle with the sheriff of nottingham or his collectors as possible.

Attachments

• attention-whore1.jpg
    attention-whore1.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 453
Yea, I will be looking to add signals soon. Small led's. Gonna replace my tail light bulb with leds too. Clean and simple, yet legal. Or close anyway. Just tryn to NOT give em a reason.

I just thought I post this. Good info to have IMO.

In Texas, apehangers are illegal, and bikes newer than`74 must have headlights on. Here I am, riding my stock `71, clean appearance, 60's, sedate riding style, get pulled over by state trooper (DPS) for no headlight. I explain that my `71 is grandfathered, then get threatened and written up! I thought that crap died years ago! Now carry that ticket as a badge of honor...

PRINT THE LAW, carry it with you. Great idea! Will do!

Last edited:
Anybody remember when:

In the mid `70s, a federal bill mandating that all motorcyclists wear safety belts actually made it to the senate floor?

In the mid `70s, our National Transportation Safety Board funded a $1 million project to produce a safer motorcycle, reduce fatalities. This thing had a front engine, front drive, reclined seating, rear steering. At the unveiling, nobody could ride it farther than 50 feet without falling down.

We had a national 55 mph speed limit, and when the states were offered the opportunity to return to 70 mph, California balked. Not for safety reasons, not for fuel economy, not for reduced emissions. No, they determined they would lose $3.5 billion in traffic speeding tickets!

Last edited:
"Apes" are not illegal in Texas. Any handle bar that is more than 15 inches above the lowest portion of the seat is.
Inspection criteria, cause for failure:
On motorcycles and motor-driven cycles, handlebar grips extend to a height in excess of 15 inches above the saddle level.

Thanx JD750ace, I was ranting/generalizing, used to get stopped for handlebar height a lot. Never ran 'apes', or anything above shoulder height. Would you believe mine (with 2" z-bars) is barely legal at 14 1/2"?

Attachments

• XS1B-a1.jpg
    XS1B-a1.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 297
Yes I would, because my Road Star Silverado with stock bars and risers is "barely legal" with the Corbin Dual Touring saddle on it!

Attachments

• doctor pepper.jpg
    doctor pepper.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 279
Back