That Seat's a Little Too Big

teflon97239

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the bike, not my GF!

I've gone through a stock 1975 (non-Special) XS 650 getting rid of bulky stuff, downsizing various components where I can (bars, dashboard/gauges, signals, tail light, etc.). What I see is more motorcycle and less junk covering it all up.

Now the stock seat looks too big, and I've never been fond of the way I keep slipping forward onto the tank while negotiating twisty hills around my home. I don't want to go to a total cafe seat, or I'd simply get one from Mike's. I also don't want something too small like a brat style bobber. And I'd like to keep the standard locking, hinged seat pan - maybe trimmed down.

Has anyone here cut one to slim it up a little? If I can find a stock one in Portland off someone else's build, I'll do some cutting and see what I end up with. Try some different foams and covers. If I totally destroy it, I'll still have my original seat to put back on.

Ideas, tips, pics and resources welcome. Thanks in advance!
990a8531-f963-4202-901a-dafa8b1fb26a_zps57b66a97.jpg

You can modify all you want. New foam or even shave it. Also ave a stock set. Pm me, I'm in Spokane till Tuesday.

The early TX and XS500 seats were that Standard side hinged style and smaller. May fit on without much modding, probably just some hinge work. Other Standard style but smaller models may also be a good source, bikes like the RD350s and 250s, XS360s and 400s.

I wouldn't cut up a nice original seat like that. Find another, one that's beat and all tore up, and have your way with that.

Teflon,
If you find a good looking alternative seat, please post pics! I totally agree that the stock seat on the later "standards" somehow looks too big, or maybe just too "square" at the back end.
Honda CB and Suzuki GT seats were more rounded at the back, looking better IMO.
I have been thinking about making an alloy seat pan, and have a pro do the foam and cover for it. Basically more rounded at the back, flatter rider portion, and "tuck n roll" crosswise ribs. But so far I haven't got around to it. And right now I am on a ship, en route from Dampier to Broome, "down under", and still two weeks left before travelling home..Oh well...

Teflon,
If you find a good looking alternative seat, please post pics! I totally agree that the stock seat on the later "standards" somehow looks too big, or maybe just too "square" at the back end.

X2
Being that I don't carry a passenger, the length of the stock seat isn't necessary. I'd like to find a seat that stopped just short of the rear frame loop, leaving the loop exposed. If it were two or three inches narrower and still used the hinges and latch it'd be my dream seat!
Mike

... I wouldn't cut up a nice original seat like that. Find another, one that's beat and all tore up, and have your way with that.

Absolutely! I bought the bike to bob with a hardtail, then halfway home realized it was still way too clean to chop.

This big-ass seat is pristine. So I agree that a beater used seat and pan would be the perfect platform for experimentation, cutting, trial and error.

Will post pics as things progress. I just want something a little more svelt on there.

Keep the ideas coming. And post PICS please!!!

Last edited:
Teflon I had mine re-scuiptured to look like a BSA 650 seat and had it covered in leather local. They did a great job $250.

Teflon I had mine re-scuiptured to look like a BSA 650 seat and had it covered in leather local. They did a great job $250.

I really like the vintage Brit bike look. Have a pic of your seat you can paste here?

I suppose if I find a beater XS650 seat pan, I can cut off the hinge/latch parts and attach them under a smaller seat off something else.

Last edited:
Teflon click on my icon and look in the albums.

Nice!!!

I always regarded the XS/TX 650 as Japan's less finicky answer to classic Triumphs and Beezers (with a shifter on the side that won't kill me). You've really nailed that vibe, which is more or less what I'm going for with mine too.

I think I have a local line on a used stock seat on craigslist, so I'll grab that and tear into it.

Small world. I set out to get a couple estimates, and there was a guy with the same 75 XS 650 I ride at the first place I walked into. I showed him an extra seat pan I bought and an internet pic of something I like the looks of. He showed me a pic of something pretty darn close to that on his bike. So now I get to wait 2-3 weeks. Actually I'll drop by for an interim "sitting" once the foam is cut and before he covers it. Pics to follow here when it's all done. Whoo-Hoo!

Last edited:
Final Update:

I was almost concerned (for no reason it turns out) that I should go even smaller, perhaps with a seat off another bike. But I wanted an easy installation with standard hinges and latch underneath, so I used a stock pan, which turned out just right with all the extra height/bulk removed, and tapered.

That's coarse grained marine-grade vinyl so it should last awhile.

It's hardly a cafe rig, but I like being about 2 inches lower "in" the bike, and I can actually slide my butt back a tiny bit so my nuts aren't jammed onto the tank all the time.

Man, that looks nice! Hard to believe that's the stock seat pan, it looks so much smaller. If you don't mind me asking, who did the work and how much did it cost?
Mike

Thanks for the kudos guys. Local dude here in Portland did it, I can shoot him your email if you're interested and forward it through me.

He told me there can be minor differences in mounting hardware among the various years (like the span between the hinges). I didn't test that because I'd already scored a spare seat, so I was lucky to get the right one on my first try. Of course if yours is shot and needs to be redone it's a no-brainer - use the same pan.

- Crappy, torn used seat from Craigslist... $40
- Craftsmanship and materials... $265
- Riding aggressively in twisty hills without smashing my nads on the tank... priceless

Last edited:
Back