Clutch worm adjustment nut ...

Evilclone13

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have almost now clutch engagement when I pull on the lever, so I went to adjust the worm assembly and this is what I saw. Please take a look at the pic attached. Does this look correct to everyone? And is it supposed to take the strength of a Lowland Gorilla to break the lock nut loose? :wtf:

Attachments

• IMG_0353.JPG
    IMG_0353.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 545
That nut gets notoriously stuck. Careful not to mess up the worm gear with pliers. Touch it up with a file if you do.

I got mine loose by laying it on an electric stove burner for a few minutes and then using the wrench. PB Blaster at various times too :)

I let it soak for 30mins in PB blaster, I was also thinking about putting the torch to it for a bit to see if that would help?!?!

No, it looks way out of adjustment. There should only be a couple threads showing above the nut, like one or two. That could explain why your clutch isn't working. It would be really loose like that and all the adjusting would have to be done at the hand lever - and there may not be enough adjustment there to take up all the slack.

Now, either that screw is just set really wrong or someone assembled things (in the pushrod/ball assembly) wrong and that called for setting it that way. There could be an extra ball in the assembly. The outer rod could be installed backwards with the stepped end in the engine instead of facing out.

The nut seizing on the screw is common. Both parts are just plain steel and if undisturbed for a long period of time, can and do get really stuck. Once you get it loose, liberally anti-seize both the screw and nut. Take the screw right out and coat it's entire length. To get the nut loose, you may need to gently clamp the assembly in a vice. Clamp it by the lever or the worm, not that tin shroud, that will deform and crush. A drywall screwgun often does the trick. The mild impacting it applies will usually break the nut loose.

Back