72 Front Brakes

shawn00sa

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have a 72 that I am looking for some guidance on. It was sitting for 37 years and has some nasty stuff in the master cylinder and the brake lines seem to be plugged. I have put both in an ultrasonic cleaner and it looks like the mc might be ok. The brake lines are just plugged up.

What do I do now? Should I just look for a new brake system or try to restore this one? I dont want to buy new upper and lower hoses and the find out the mc is bad only then to realize that a new system would be cheaper.

Any advice and a direction to go?

I would suggest taking both the Master cylinder and caliper apart and cleaning them. Inspect for worn or damaged parts. Replace just what you need. Often just the tear down cleaning and reassembly will fix them.
As RG said those old rubber hoses Are crap. They are good for about 6 years. They have plastic ring around the hose. It has the manufacture date on it. If they are less than 6 years old they may be ok. I bet that date indicates they are more like 40 years old.
Mike's sells a one piece braided stainless steel line.
When cleaning the caliper, be sure to get the groove the square section o-ring clean. Any crud in the groove can bind the piston.
Do you have a repair manual? It explains how to tear down and reassemble the master and caliper. Searching on here you will find tips to make the job easier.
Leo

I was just on Mike's They don't list the long one piece line. They do have the rubber lines for the 72. Under Brakes, EOM hoses 72-76. Item #'s 29-6517 for the upper, 29-6516 the lower and 29-7004 for te steelline that goes between the hose and caliper.
To use a braided steelline on the 72-76 models you need a line of course but you need an adapter to replace the steel line between the hose and caliper. Like in the pic. One end screw into the braided steel line, the other end needs threads that screw into your caliper.
I don't know just what the threads are, but take your caliper to a parts store and tell them what you want. They should have one.

Attachments

• $T2eC16F,!)!E9s2f!GpkBRqVT3tlpg~~60_1.jpg
    $T2eC16F,!)!E9s2f!GpkBRqVT3tlpg~~60_1.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 202
With that fitting you can get a line from most any supplier. I might search Ebay for AN-3 brake lines. What I might do is measure your lines The upper is around 15 to 17 inches long the lower a bit longer, 18-20, that includes the short steel line. Add these lengths together and order a line that long.
Some lines come with fittings on the ends. If not you will need one of these to hook it to the master. They come in different angles. Get one that is close to the same as yours. One end is AN-3 the other is for a 10 mm banjo bolt.
Leo

Attachments

• m4awpK0ufdpaDv-6rQLmGrQ.jpg
    m4awpK0ufdpaDv-6rQLmGrQ.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 207
I got lucky today. The bikes we build at work use steel brake lines but not with banjo fittings. I looked back and in 2010 we used a banjo fitting on one of our bikes. I went and grabbed on to test it. BINGO!....It was a 10mm banjo on one end and the correct AN-3 fitting on the other. I now have a braided steel brake line. It even has a rubber protection area where it passes by the triple clamps. I will get a pic tomorrow and post.

I then cleaned up the MC and caliper with no major issues. After bleeding them they now work.

If anyone needs a line like this let me know. We have more in stock.

Shawn Do you have those lines for sale? If so many early bike owners may be interested.
Leo

I have a 1973 TX, and your set up looks like it will fit my bike. Please let me know if you still are still selling them, and where to send the money.
Peter

Sorry guys I missed a few messages. We have these for available at work. We used these on an older model of MX bike we built. We build MX bikes for kids. http://www.cobramotorcycle.com/v3_default.asp

Just give us a call. Bill in parts can help you out. If he is clueless when you say XS650, just ask for Shawn.

517-437-9100

FYI...I have thse on my bike and they have worked awesome!

Back