o rings

Take Warning15

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I'm just reassembling my first engine rebuild. However, I've gotten to a point of confusion and decided to stop before I screw up. I'm looking at my gasket kit and noticed way more o rings than I know what to do with. I know the two red ones go under the cylinders.

Can someone draft up a quick list of parts that get o rings? I did a sort of half assed search because I have to get to work, but did not see anything close to what I'm looking for. Thanks so much.

Well, I'll start it off, others chime in if I forgot anything

2 for the cam covers
4 for the valve covers
4 for the valve guides
2 for the cylinders
1 for the tach drive

Four for the sleeves that fit in the four outer stud holes of the top cover. I don't bother replacing them usually unless I disturb them. You obviously won't use the valve guide ones unless you've pulled the guides. That usually only happens if one needs replacing. I think new ones for the rocker arm shaft plugs are included as well. Depending on what brand gasket set you got, you may or may not get valve cover o-rings. They don't come with the Athena kit but do with the Vesrah. But then on the other hand, you get no valve guide seals with the Vesrah kit while the Athena one includes those.

I would think so but I'm not really up on valve guide replacing. I don't know if it's common practice to have o-rings on guides. If it is then I'm sure the shop has a large assortment and routinely replaces them. If not then the question comes to mind, where did they get them, some obscure metric o-ring?

in situ like this, I replace what I know is rite, then go from there. takes a bit more time, but at least it feels like your doing something.
When I look at diagrams, and weld prints that seem like they have too much info, I just narrow it down to what I know.

Back