Texas newbie looking for an XS

Ranger

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Howdy! I'm new to XS motorcycles, and new to forums, to please bear with me...

I've been a motorcycle enthusiast for more than half my life, and somehow until two weeks ago the awesome yamaha XS 650 has escape my notice. I've been looking to get back on 2 wheels for a while, and this seems like a (relatively) inexpensive way to have an awesome chopped scoot.

I'm looking for a titled running (or possibly close to running) XS, don't really care about the year (unless I should??) or the mileage. I'd preferably like to keep the cost $1,000 or less depending on condition. The plan is to ride it while collecting parts for a chopper/bobber build.

My question for the rest of you Texans (or anybody from another state in close proximity) is how often something like this comes up for sale in our area? There's nothing really out there right now that I've been able to find. There's a sweet one I'm eyeballing in Michigan right now, but I'd ideally like to find something more local.

Howdy back at ya Ranger. Welcome. I can't be much help with the bike, as I'm not selling mine, but other than the usual classifieds and craigslist sources, you might try checking with the local bike shops, or clubs in your area that might give you a heads-up on a 650.

Philip

Hey man, Im from Louisiana, so not to far from you. But I bought mine around May this year. It was somewhat hard to find one that wasnt totally trashed for under 1500.. I ended up getting one shipped from Florida for 1800. She was a (rough) runner, but all around in awesome shape. Hope that helps.

Few and far between for a good runner these days, unless one happens to fall into your lap. Keep your eyes peeled in the classifieds, CL, even eBay if you have to. Most are overpriced. But every now and again something nice or even unmollested pops up. The timing needs to be right. Have the cash in hand and be ready to buy. But don't jump into anything unless your sure it is within your budget or skill set. Best of luck on your search.

Now if you were close to PA. this is what you want.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30297

Thanks for the advice everybody! My inlaws live in Michigan, so I've been debating buying the one that's currently on ebay up there, or one that's on CL right down the road from them and having them store it until i figure out the best (cheapest) way to get it down here... But obviously local would be better :)

On a high note, one of the guys that volunteers at the Scout camp where I work just gave me a 1977 yz100 to play with. Ugly as sin, but it runs and the price was right.

Just bought an '83 heritage special for $800 in Michigan. My brother in law is picking it up for me. It's got 19,000 miles on it with a rebuilt motor and new tires, all done at 18,000 miles. Now I just need to figure the cheapest way to get it back here... I'm thinking one-way ticket and ride it home...

Thanks! I'll check it out. I actually have a buddy who might be going to Michigan to look at a toy hauler. If he does, he'll bring it back for free... fingers crossed.

Good luck ranger. A guy that I know just sold his 78 special for 1600 it was a very nice bike, so there still out there. I should have bought the damn thing but I would like to get my hands on a nice standard instead.(I,ll be kicking myself in the ass for letting this one get away if I keep thinking about it)!!!!

Back