Alternator cable route ?

peanut

XS650 enthusiast & inveterate tinkerer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
has anyone got a picture showing the route for the alternator loom please?
Also can you put the chain on the sprocket with the chain guard fitted without having to split the chain?

Sorry should have said. This is my first xs650 and I bought it in bits. I have never seen how the alternator wiring fits and exits the left cover without getting ripped by the chain. I cannot find a picture anywhere that shows the cable routing so I'd appreciate it if someone has their left cover off and could take a picture for me as I need to finish this bike for a MOT test

Last edited:
Hey, peanut. Yeah, we know a good pic is out there somewhere, just have to burn a lot of 'net time searchin for it, agravating. Anyhow, found a couple links with dirty pics, not exactly what you're looking for, but something anyway. Not sure about yours, but my older shiftshaft covers have a clip on the bottom that holds the harness. Installing chain/sprocket together can be done with that shield in place, and depending on shield condition (bends/grooves/dinks), installing one-piece chain on already installed sprocket may be difficult.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1949
http://www.650motorcycles.com/XSseals.html

thanks TwoMany.
looks like the way to do it is to fit the sprocket with the chain already on it eh?
I'll have to remove it again dayum:doh:

My alternator wiring loom is in a bit of a state and I suspect that my cable clips are missing.
I think I have routed the cable correctly under the cover ...I'm still not sure where to bring it out of the cover .
I'll buy some cable clips

Attachments

• alternator wiring 2.JPG
    alternator wiring 2.JPG
    288.3 KB · Views: 406
You can try fitting that chain with the sprocket attached, either it goes on or not. Lost track, are you running a swingarm? If so, it'll have to come off to fit an endless chain. Last time I fitted an endless chain was 38 years ago, warranty on a cb-750, PITA!

I've tried searches using "alternator", "pushrod+seal", "front sprocket", to find a pic. I look for threads with the paperclip indicator (pics attached). Billions and billions of irrevelant pics out there...

You appear to have it routed correctly. Yes, you are missing a clip. It attached to the case on the upper right where those 3 little tits are showing next to the wire. You can see it here on mine behind the clutch cable. The clips below the sprocket that TwoMany mentioned were an early model thing, not present on the later ones. They aren't needed as the shift shaft protector traps and holds the wire there.

OutputShaftLeak.jpg

The important thing of course, is to keep that wire back away from the chain. Maybe you can add a clip to that stud that the shift shaft protector slips onto.

Another thing I just noticed in your pic. The nut for where the shift shaft protector fits is just a normal one, not that chrome acorn. There are 6 specific locations that get the acorn nuts and a copper sealing washer but that isn't one of them. If you have extra acorns then no problem. If not then one is missing from where it should be.

Good pic 5T, looks like the harness is held by simply being wedged between the shield and starter cover. That clip on rear is new to me, may fashion something similar for mine.

Over time and heat cycles, these harnesses take a set, and your harness (if you're using stock), may guide you where it wants to go...

Yes, it's wedged in under the shift shaft and shift shaft protector. Then that tab on the protector that sticks down to the starter gear cover traps it in there. There's no way it can come out or get touched by the spinning chain. At the rear though, where peanut is missing the clip, it could move out and get "eaten". Adding a clip on yours would probably be a good idea.

Peanut, you may want to invest in a counter sprocket while you're in there. Yours looks quite worn. Pointed teeth will make a good chain adjustment difficult.

Another thing I just noticed in your pic. The nut for where the shift shaft protector fits is just a normal one, not that chrome acorn. There are 6 specific locations that get the acorn nuts and a copper sealing washer but that isn't one of them. If you have extra acorns then no problem. If not then one is missing from where it should be.

Ah I guessed that might be the case when I realised I needed to fit the chain guide there, I couldn't find an image from the German guide that was large and clear enough to see clearly where 1x of the acorn nuts was supposed to go and that was the one.!

Thanks for the post ..it is very helpful :thumbsup:

Good pic 5T, looks like the harness is held by simply being wedged between the shield and starter cover. That clip on rear is new to me, may fashion something similar for mine.

Over time and heat cycles, these harnesses take a set, and your harness (if you're using stock), may guide you where it wants to go...

yes the 'set' of an old cable is usually very helpful but unfortunately the plastic outer sleeve has become extremely brittle and disintigrated in two places where presumably it has a sharp bend.
i think I'll buy a couple of electrical cable clips and see if I can clip the cable up out of the way of the chain .:thumbsup:

Peanut, you may want to invest in a counter sprocket while you're in there. Yours looks quite worn. Pointed teeth will make a good chain adjustment difficult.

thanks for the tip Dick. I am debating whether to fit an 18t or a 30t rear sprocket instead and whether to change to 520 so I haven't really considered the condition of the drive sprocket. I'll compare it with an image of a new sprocket thanks

oops db post.. I blame the damn cat lol

Last edited:
yes the 'set' of an old cable is usually very helpful but unfortunately the plastic outer sleeve has become extremely brittle and disintigrated in two places where presumably it has a sharp bend.
i think I'll buy a couple of electrical cable clips and see if I can clip the cable up out of the way of the chain .:thumbsup:
remove the connectors from the plug-in block and then you can put on a new cover (shrink tubing?)

oops db post.. I blame the damn cat lol
yes, cats are evil that way :laugh:

remove the connectors from the plug-in block and then you can put on a new cover (shrink tubing?)

yes, cats are evil that way :laugh:

thats a good idea jayel :wink2: I might look out for a better used stator to remove the loom from . Then again I've got a fully electronic Boyer ignition so I'll probably go with a PMA eventually. :thumbsup::D

I've told then cats not to mess with the pooter but will they listen ?:D

Been studyn' your and 5T's pics of that rear clip, and it reminds me of the 'pot metal' fitments on my RV. Looks like the original clip has 3 holes that fit over those 3 tits, then they're 'peened' over to hold the clip.

Your cats might have something interesting to post. I'd be interested...

Attachments

• Chrly3.jpg
    Chrly3.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 159
Yes, that's exactly how they're attached. I've found them missing on several motors. Apparently they don't hold up well to having the clip bent open and closed multiple times to extract the wire.

B
Your cats might have something interesting to post. I'd be interested...

yeah I've caught mine surfin a few times recently. Cats these days are getting too damn smart if you ask me lol:D

do not fear "The Rise of the Apes" fear the rise of their evil cat overlords

Attachments

• 1gorilla4.jpg
    1gorilla4.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 127
Back