NEW Pamco.E-Advance on '80 engine

Milk_Jesus

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ok, so Ive searched the forums and come up dry. I can't find any instruction on how to put together the advance rod/pin and NEWEST pamco on a non points engine (1980). I've seen the youtube install videos and i've searched everything I can think but they are all using the older copper rod cap. I also e-mailed pete, but hoping someone responds here so I can get this done tonight.

When I click on the Install instructions the billet cap comes up. There is a link to the older copper cap just below the title.
looking at the copper cap instructions it is for the very early kits that used three slotted washers, and one plain washer. The later kits used two thicker slotted washers.
They install the same except the two slotted washer kits you don't add the second slotted washer on the outside. one inside the copper cap, one out side the cap.
Leo

When I click on the Install instructions the billet cap comes up. There is a link to the older copper cap just below the title.
looking at the copper cap instructions it is for the very early kits that used three slotted washers, and one plain washer. The later kits used two thicker slotted washers.
They install the same except the two slotted washer kits you don't add the second slotted washer on the outside. one inside the copper cap, one out side the cap.
Leo

Ok and when does the locating pin get put in?

You put the pin in first thing, then the first slotted washer, the cap, the second slotted washer, the regular washer then the lock washer and nut.
Leo

You put the pin in first thing, then the first slotted washer, the cap, the second slotted washer, the regular washer then the lock washer and nut.
Leo

i feel like theres too many washers. the end nut will barely even grab onto the threads of the rod. can i ditch one washer for any reason?

Milk...,

Do you have the copper cap or the new aluminum cap? The aluminum cap does not use any washers.

If you have the copper cap, then it is essential that you install the copper cap and washers on the advance rod BEFORE installing the advance rod into the cam shaft cavity otherwise there will not be enough room for the cap and washers, which is what you are experiencing.

Milk...,

Do you have the copper cap or the new aluminum cap? The aluminum cap does not use any washers.

If you have the copper cap, then it is essential that you install the copper cap and washers on the advance rod BEFORE installing the advance rod into the cam shaft cavity otherwise there will not be enough room for the cap and washers, which is what you are experiencing.

Aluminum! So I don't need any of the slotted/unslotted washers?

The way he was talking about multiple washers I thought he had the copper cap.
I should have asked.
Leo

Are there any explicit instructions for adding the missing advance parts on a TCI model? I'm looking to do the Pamco E-Advance setup on my '83. can it all be done front the outside without taking the top end apart ?

3dognate,

Yes. http://www.yamahaxs650.com/Installtion of E-Advancer.htm You also have to install two brass bushings in the right side and one brass bushing in the left side. The bushings just push into the cavities on either end of the cam shaft that is accessible when you remove the chrome covers. Clean out the cam cavities first with a wire brush. You will need one of the PAMCO kits that includes all this.

Pete, do you need two bushings in the right side anymore with the E-advance? I mean, nothing moves or rotates anymore once the advance rod is stuck in there and tightened down. It seems one bushing per side just to center the rod would suffice?

Pete, do you need two bushings in the right side anymore with the E-advance? I mean, nothing moves or rotates anymore once the advance rod is stuck in there and tightened down. It seems one bushing per side just to center the rod would suffice?

The inner bushing prevent the locating pin from falling into the center of the cam.

I'm somehow still not clear on this. Let me start from the beginning again.

I have a'80 engine (TCI originally, but I did the PMA swap (banshee parts) and now Im running the NEW pamco with a capacitor and no battery.

According to pete's site, since I have an 80 engine, I needed to buy:

Points advance rod #14-0650
Breaker plate screws #14-0655
Advance locating pin #14-0653
Brass bushings #05-0032 (3)

and then from Mikesxs I bought this:

http://www.mikesxs.net/parts/img600/14-0903.jpg

So, you're saying that I DO NOT install the aluminum cap side first? So I install the right engine side first?

Or, am I installing the aluminum cap side first without ANY of the three washers (slotted/unslotted) and it will just be the bolt threads (this side has the advance pin already installed) alum. cap, lock washer, nut? That's it? And then I push the rod through and install the other side with the copper bushings?

Milk...,

The left and right side of the engine are as you sit on the bike. Think of your left turn signal and your right turn signal.

1. Install the brass bushings first. One goes on the left side and two go on the right side.
2. With the advance rod out of the engine, install the PAMCO rotor on the advance rod that has the longest shaft extension.
3. Install the advance rod into the hole in the cam shaft on the left side.
4. Install the aluminum cap on the right side of the engine on the shortest extension of the advance rod. Do not use the special washers that came with the copper cap. They are not used with the aluminum cap. The original lock washer and nut are used.

Back