Gearbox selector drum bearing size

ralpharama

XS650 Member
Reaction score
The gear selector drum of this engine I'm trying to build, has knackered bearings ... in a big way. The needle roller at the back came out in about fifty million pieces. I have found a part number, but the UK suppliers come up with a blank. I can easily measure the inside and outside diameters but I haven't a clue what the length is. Is it a closed end or open bearing. I remember that when I stripped it that it was in a very poor state, but I can remember much else.

Can any one help with a size and type?

Thanks

Hi Ralph welcome to the forum mate.
The bearing you need is a needle race and the cage is a blind end case .
I have the part number somewhere if you want to check.

Have you tried Fowlers for the part ?http://www.fowlers.co.uk/index.php

I did a video of removing and replacing this bearing which might be useful.

Check out the Brit forum http://www.customxs650.com/

Yoy may need to refresh the page occasionally to get the site up

Hi Peanut

Wow you're also from Somerset!!!! I have a a trade account with Foulups, so I sussed out the part numbers and dialled it in to their on-line parts thang and it said it was discontinued, which is why I'm trying to find the bearing dims. I tend to go to Simply Bearings as my first port of call, due to their fab service and good prices. I had a feeling that the bearing was blind, I don't suppose you can remember the bearing width?

Where a outs in Zider country do you hail from? I'm in Pensford, just south of Bristol.

Thanks for your reply

Hi I'm a bit south of you near Crewkerne:thumbsup:
We'll have to meet up some time when I've got an MOT and you've got yours running.

I think I made a note of the bearing size I'll check in the morning .
Like you I tend to use standard bearings and oil seals rather than pay fancy prices from Yambits and Fowlers et al .

Don't forget to check out customxs650.com they are a great bunch

sorry Ralph can't find the original packet with part number or a note of the dims I'm afraid.
My covers are closed now but you should be able to measure your part by measuring the internal diameter of the socket in the crankcase for ID and depth.
The bearing is almost exactly the length of the recess in the crankcase .

If you can press the original metal bearing case out you could measure that.:thumbsup:

Thanx for looking Gary. The. Choice seems to be 20 or 25mm width, so I'll play safe and go for 20mm. So far the best price offered by a local supplier is £25 plus VAT beast's pound of flesh, but I'm waiting for simply Bearings to get back to me as whilst they list them, they don't have stock and nor proffer a price.

I'm afraid you'll never see me riding this bike; I'm building the engine for someone else, who's putting it in an Uncle Bunt's chop frame. Not to my taste! Be nice to meet you though on one of my classic Kawasakis :)

why can't you measure the depth or the thickness of the crankcase ? A picture of your crankcase would sure help us a bit :wink2:

Is there nothing remaining of the bearing left in the crankcase ? The bearing outer case is really thin steel just thousandths of an inch with one blind end ,its easy to overlook until you try to insert the new bearing .

Back