High volume oil pump

slade

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
It appears as if Mike's no longer has the high volume oil pump. Does anyone know where one could purchase one? I am installing an oil cooler.

Heiden tuning May stock them, that's where I got my one about 12 months ago when I couldn't get one at mikes. I originally purchased one from mikes 7or & years ago and the quality was much better back then. The Heiden on has a pair of rotors sandwiched in together to make up the extra thickness, and one of the rotors was so sloppy that i replaced it with a half worn out Yamaha one which had a much tighter internal clearance.

at 119 euroes the price is nuts for a marginal quality pump.
I think I will just blue-print a new pump.

Good idea, one with a 12mm wide rotor instead of an 8mm and a 4mm together.

Pretty sure Honda CB750 has a 12mm rotor that looks very similar, may be worth a look.

Johngoodenoug I installed my one the other day but did not use the sloppy rotor provided.
See how it goes!

$(KGrHqR,!p0E63ZpIkyZBO1s8R85Mw~~60_35.jpg
small electric oil pump made for turbo evacuation. Hum I wonder if this would be just the ticket?

Maybe you have a special set of circumstances, but I can tell you that I am not aware of even one XS650 being raced in AHRMA road or flat track racing that uses a high volume oil pump. The factory race bikes in the '70s didn't use one, nor did the ultra-trick OU versions of these engines.
If a 65 - 70 RWHP XS engine can be held wide open at 8000 - 8300 RPM for as much as a minute around Daytona's road course using a stock oil pump with no evidence - ever - of an lubrication-related failure, I can't imagine any other use that would create an even more hostile set of conditions. Ditto at Willow Springs on 105+ degree days between turns 6 and 1.
So, as I say, unless you are doing something truly onerous to the engine, save your money.

And, yes, the stock oil pump is adequate for oil coolers too. Back in the "Battle of the Twins" days there were lots of XS engines on the grid with oil coolers and, again, nobody had upgraded oil pumps and I'm not aware of any engine failures that could be traced to lubrication failure.

Maybe you have a special set of circumstances, but I can tell you that I am not aware of even one XS650 being raced in AHRMA road or flat track racing that uses a high volume oil pump. The factory race bikes in the '70s didn't use one, nor did the ultra-trick OU versions of these engines.
If a 65 - 70 RWHP XS engine can be held wide open at 8000 - 8300 RPM for as much as a minute around Daytona's road course using a stock oil pump with no evidence - ever - of an lubrication-related failure, I can't imagine any other use that would create an even more hostile set of conditions. Ditto at Willow Springs on 105+ degree days between turns 6 and 1.
So, as I say, unless you are doing something truly onerous to the engine, save your money.

Thank you for the good information. I once has a high performance VW engine with a very large after market pump .As it turns out the pump just ate up Hp and blew seals. Back with the stock pump, I gained 5Hp and had no more seal problems.

I fitted a 50%+ oil pump I bought from The Tired Kraut back in 2010 after a crankshaft bearing and RHS top end failure. I hadn't owned the bike long and didn't really know it's history or even much about the XS650 in general at the time. Seeing as I was going the paper filter/cooler route at the same time I decided a bigger pump couldn't hurt and had to replace the original as it had a cracked rotor ring.
End result was the pump supplied was a beauty, spun freely with minimal clearance and shoves oil everywhere. End result is a quiet engine but I had to sort a few leaks at first.

I fitted a 50%+ oil pump I bought from The Tired Kraut back in 2010 after a crankshaft bearing and RHS top end failure. I hadn't owned the bike long and didn't really know it's history or even much about the XS650 in general at the time. Seeing as I was going the paper filter/cooler route at the same time I decided a bigger pump couldn't hurt and had to replace the original as it had a cracked rotor ring.
End result was the pump supplied was a beauty, spun freely with minimal clearance and shoves oil everywhere. End result is a quiet engine but I had to sort a few leaks at first.

I will try to find a site for "tired Kraut"

Back