Front hub - disk brake

Lester

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I scored what I think is a XS650 wheel and its in pretty good shape, got the disk too BUT I think I'm missing something and my clymer shop manual isn't beeing very helpful. Can anybody direct me in the right direction.... Looks like I'm missing the thing the disk bolts on to.... I need a part number and I need to know where I can get one.

12419511293_181275bf6f_z.jpg

including this one for identificatoin reasons.... speedo hub from the Alu. mag fits fine.

12419510343_909af3675a_z.jpg

Thanks
Lester

XSbob,

Thanks, looks like the disk that came with the wheel is wrong... it looks just like the one fitted on the Alu.mag.

Great! another economic bump in the road.

Lester

I'll check that out Dirty Dog.
Looks like the bearing and Mag Axel match thou.
I will need spacers and I am crossing my fingers the 1980 caliper will work on this set up..... Anybody????

Lester

Nope only way is ALL 72 parts including the fork lowers.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16441

I have a pictorial somewhere on here showing how odd and unique that 72 set up is. Unless you have it all the best bet is to pawn off that 72 hub on some dummy not using a front brake. Can't really hurt a guy that will ride without a front brake....

Last edited:
Don't you think with some modifications they will work.
Would love more details on the matter so I consider it atleast

Thanks Gray,
Great link, I see the bits I am missing but I Don't really see the whole fork legg.
Were is the 80 fork legg not working with the 72 hub

How annoying this is.
Just had the tire put on too!

Lester

View attachment 36634

In this pic you can see how the rotor hub is held to the fork leg by a threaded sleeve and nut. Even with no axle the rotor is located and spins on it's own bearings. The hole in the leg is sized to accept that sleeve which is bigger than the axle diameter on other years. The axle was specially machined with a step down part way through the sleeve also.

But don't take my word for it, go ahead make it work....

Aha... Look at that..... CRAP!

Thanks gray

Hi Lester!
Good to se other "Noggies" on the forum, or maybe you are an ex-pat living in Norway?

I assume you have "Special" with cast wheels, and want to convert to spokes?
My bike is a -77 Standard with spoked wheels, and the rims have some corrosion. So based on info fron this forum, I just ordered a front hub from a Yamaha XV535, or Virago 535 as it also is called. This hub is the same as the XS spoked hub, and any disc with 6 M8 bolts on an 80 mm bolt circle, and a 64 mm center hole should fit. The plan is to send this hub to CWC in the UK for building a wheel with a non-shouldered Morad alloy rim. I went for non-shouldered because they are easier to keep nice, as they do not collect mud and water like the OEM ones do.

So just be on the lookout for XV535 front wheels and hubs!

Sadly, there is an artificially high demand for spoked front wheels for the XS, as some builders use them for rear wheels, using some spacers for the sprocket and rear brake disc. The end product may be cheap (ish), but they also end up with a narrow rim, on a narrow hub, which is not particularly well suited for a rear wheel. Serious builders, like Richard Pollock, use proper rear hubs for tracker builds. Pheeew, now I got that off my chest....

Hey ArticXS,

I am unfamiliar With both of the terms you refer to. But yes Norsk kid her.
Thanks for the tip. At this point I don't know if I will sell the 72 rim as a whole or just swap hubs as you mentioned. Thanks for that tip by the way, I'll look up the Virago Hubs.

Cheers
Lester

Yes, lose that hub, it's too obscure. It's really only worth anything to someone restoring a '72.

Hey guys.... I'm back 4 weeks later... it was quite a mission but I finally can across a Virago front hub... thouse Things are almost as hard to find as the XS hubs.
I really had to dig deep into my wallet too. To top it off it looks really scruffy, needs new bearings and a really good cleaning. I
First thing I checked was if the disk brake fit.... and its a perfect match.... thanks for the tip guys.
I'll keep you posted on the rebuilt wheel as time allows.

12970002304_502311d2f7_c.jpg

Lester

I decided to start cleaning up the hub, it was badly pitted so it was only one thing to do and that was to chuck it in the lathe and lick off a millimeter all way around.
I also removed thouse ugly cast tabs in the center.
Its not perfect but good enough.

13042269445_db38805655_c.jpg

13042271035_78a3b6812d_c.jpg

13042406653_7e9b5102fa_c.jpg

13042408553_7b9b0b94a8_c.jpg

and then after some polishing....

13042410193_93fc542147_c.jpg

I will pop in some new bearings tomorrow and start lacing the spokes ect

Lester

Good job Lester! Looks better than new for sure.

What you started with sure was ugly.

I don't get cutting spokes. I did it one time and no matter how rusty they are it's easier to unthread the nipples. :shrug:

Back