Front wheel hub direction

memphisscott

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I know that the front tire would need to need to be remounted since has a specific direction of travel, but is there any reason the wheel (and more specifically the hub) can’t be flipped around? I’m wanting to move the front brake from the right to the left and the speedo from the left to the right. This is a stock front hub and forks for an ‘82 Heritage Special. It’s spoked, but I’m going to be respoking it and possibly using a different rim.

The brake isn't an issue but the speedo drive would be. It would run in reverse, and wouldn't work. You would need to find a speedo drive specifically made to be run on the right side of the wheel, and I'm not aware of any off hand. I guess the big question is why? Why "re-invent" the wheel? lol.

No need to shift the Speedo drive when moving the brake system to the left side

All hubs, (spoke wheels and mag), from 73, have provision for a rotor on both sides, (look under the plastic cover), and the forks have mounts for a caliper, unless a PO has removed the,m.

You will need a left-handed caliper though .....

There are things this bike needs for sure. This isn't one of them, lol.

I made the swap on my '77. Mine was out of necessity though as a rotor bolt bottomed out and snapped off. Despite many attempts to remove it I resorted to switching the caliper and rotor to the left. But in my case I am not running a speedo. But as mentioned you should still be able to run the speedo drive with the brake on the left side.

I want to move the brake. I was assuming that would mean flipping the hub and, therefore, the speedo. Folks above are saying I can put the rotor on either side of the hub without flipping it. Gonna look into that.

I want to move the brake. I was assuming that would mean flipping the hub and, therefore, the speedo. Folks above are saying I can put the rotor on either side of the hub without flipping it. Gonna look into that.

The SR500 has the brake on the left. Have a look. I don’t know which side has the speedometer drive. Parts may be compatible with the XS650. Someone here knows.
The SR500 has the brake on the left, and the speedo drive on the left. The wheel is exactly the same as the XS650. Everything is exactly the same, except the caliper is on the left. Everything interchanges, you just need a left-sided caliper.

US and Canadian XS650's had a single disk brake front. Europe, Oceania, and some other countries the XS650 had twin disk brakes on the front.

The twin disk set up was also a Yamaha dealer option in the US. That is why both front forks have the mounting brackets for the caliper and the holes in the hub for the rotor.

From the 78SE parts file showing a twin dusk set up as an option for 78/79/80
MjIxNzExNg-2e19f578.png

The SR500 uses a thinner 5mm thick rotor (650 is 7mm thick). It's a simple weight saving "upgrade" for the 650. I have them on a couple of my wheels but honestly, I don't notice much, if any, difference. On the down side, they do get hotter quicker.

The SR500 uses a thinner 5mm thick rotor (650 is 7mm thick). It's a simple weight saving "upgrade" for the 650. I have them on a couple of my wheels but honestly, I don't notice much, if any, difference. On the down side, they do get hotter quicker.
Good point. The SR500 caliper has smaller "gap." You can't use a 7mm rotor in it. If you want to re-use your 7mm XS650 rotor, then when you swap sides you need to find a left-side XS650 caliper.
You can use a 5 of 7mm rotor in XS650 calipers.
You must use a 5mm rotor in SR500 calipers.

The 500 caliper will work, you will just need to change the caliper retainers if you plan on using a 7mm thick disc .....

Anti-Squeal Shim.jpg

Anti-Squeal Shim2Modded.jpg

Back