Rear wheel drum or disc mod?

Clerek

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 81 heritage and REALLY want the rear drums...

I am going to buy a 1974 rear wheel hub, drum and pads, and want to know how hard it will be to mount it on my mag wheels instead of the disc. I know it's a step in the wrong direction, but I really think the look will go with my build. I HAVE used the search feature both on google and on the forum. Can someone please help me out with this?

Thanks!

-Clerek

A Heritage came with a drum rear and spoke wheels, If you have a disk-mag rear
You can't convert it. You will need to find a drum mag rear, they do exist. I might have one show up this week but it's just a maybe. Am I not clear on what you are doing?
80 81 Specials have the mag - drum rear IIRC

Sounds like he's asking if he can mount a brake drum on his current disc type mag wheel. No, you can't. But, like Gary says, there are some mag/drums out there. Only made one year I think. Saw one on E-bay a few months ago.

The easy way to convert from a disc to a drum brake is to get the drum brake wheel and the proper spacers. The brake strut, drum brake swingarm, the drum brake pivot shaft and actuator rod and parts.
Remove all the disc brake parts, the wheel, caliper and bracket, swingarm, master cylinder, and the brake pivot shaft.
Now install the drum pivot shaft with the actuating rod and parts. Install the drum swingarm with the strut installed. Install the drum brake wheel , adjust the chain. Before tightening the axle hook the actuating rod and parts to the arm on the brake plate. Hook the strut on the swing arm to the brake plate. Adjust the brake. Now while holding the brake pedal down tighten the axle.
The only problem might be the adjuster screw for brake pedal height. The disc brake pivot rod pushes up to actuate the M/C. On the drum the pivot shaft moves forward to pull the actuating rod. The pedal height adjuster is on the frame at different angles to accomodate the different pivot shafts.
I did just the opposite on my 75, went from drum to disc.

1981 specials have a rear mag drum brake wheel. I had one on my bike and sold it when I went to spokes.
Even if you are a master machinist and expert aluminum welder it would still be far easier to just find one of these wheels instead.
(not my bike)
xs%20650.jpg

Last edited:
Back