Name that tune...

TampaXS

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I finally got her running and back on the road....thanks to a lot of you guys. So now I have this noise. Sounds like its coming from the advance side?? sounds like timing chain? The thing is, I didnt touch the adjustment on the timing chain at all. Left it in place after checking it. Also, I greased and cleaned the advance rod and shortened the advance springs, and the advance is still hanging when I rev. I've taken it out and checked it several times. Any thoughts? ...figured i'd ask you guys before I start breakin sht.

I'll go with tappet noise. Check for 0.003" intake, 0.006" exhaust. Also, remove and inspect adjuster tips during valve lash setting, looking for chipping/fracturing of adjuster tip. Ensure everything up there is wet with oil...

you guys are right! as soon as its warmed up and I rev it a couple of times, the advance unit seems to fully advance and make that noise...The hanging idle has been an issue that I can't seem to resolve. I have greased the rod and cut both springs, and the weights still do not snap back. Am I missing anything here? Could I have adjusted something wrong? I cant really imagine there being a wrong way to refit this...other than 180* off, in which the bike shouldn't run, right?

The weights shouldn't fling out enough to hit the housing. There are stops on the backing plate (green arrows) .....

AdvanceMod.jpg

Maybe someone bent your stops out more, or maybe they broke off. That can happen if you bend them. The plate is tempered or hardened and doesn't take kindly to being bent. You'd better check this. You may need a new advance, or at the least, a new backing plate. If you're running it with no stops, the timing is over-advancing which is a whole 'nother problem in itself. You can hole a piston running like that.

I still cant figure this out, not sure what is hitting what, I did notice that after taking the weights off, there is some movement in the rod when it is tightened down. This cant be good. Im wondering if the cam chain needs tightening. When checking the adjuster the pin appears to be flush with the housing, which should be right...correct?

brought the bike to 2 mechanics...both of them stumped...running out of ideas here. The valves, points and chain tension are all set to spec...any thoughts?

Back