How Hard to Cover Seat?

szts

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have an 82 xs650. How hard is it to stretch some vinyl over the seat on the metal seat pans. I cant find an upholster to do it in my price range.

I did mine with a replacement from mikesxs...if you look at my pictures I put a couple on there...my foam was good so didn't need to replace but I'm sure sourcing some foam and glue it to pan would work. I just prime and painted my pan. There's a bunch of tabs that go around pan....you just cover seat...line up edges and poke material thru tabs and been tabs. Real easy...I never reupholstered anything before

I have the original cover and its in OK condition. But the previous owner had some sort of plan for the foam. Whatever the plan was it now looks like a pissed off beaver got a hold of it. I'm thinking about trimming the seat down so its about 2 inches thick and flat, then putting vinyl on. I just don't want the seat to look like hell cause the rest of the bike is so clean.

If that is the case, find some good original foam. Put the cover in the sun to soften the vinyl and strech it over the foam. Not hard at all.

I have an 82 xs650. How hard is it to stretch some vinyl over the seat on the metal seat pans. I cant find an upholster to do it in my price range.
.......................... hi pit replica sells good replacement covers which are not expensive ,,, a while ago i re-covered a dt600 seat which was stuffed,,,, i purchased some decent foam to trplace the rubbish that was on it at the time i went to my local clarkes store and purchased about 15square metres of black vinly,,,, and the guy across the road loaned me an electric stapler with about 16mm wide staples it all went together like a dream its not hard to do it yourself regards oldbiker

Back