Any threads on converting hardtail back to swingarm

hard_y_rd

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone had successfully did this? I'm sure anything is possible with a welder. I woud like to see a thread or some pics on this. I did a search but came up empty.

I haven't seen a thread like that either. The easiest way would to be to buy a frame. If no title just cut the neck out of the hard tail frame and weld it into the swing arm frame.
Leo

I'm in the same position. I bought an abandoned project, a 71 with a hardtail tacked on for a 200 tire, complete with jack shaft sprocket, my intention is to dismantle it and weld on a cast off 76 swing arm section I bought from a sawsall devotee. Proper use of slugs and keep it straight and true you should be fine.

I have done a lot of frames and I would think it would be easier to do than installing a hard tail. If you cut the frame below the curve on the backbone about 4" above rear motor mount and made the same cuts as you do for a hard tail. Use a ass end from another frame I think it can be done in three welds. If you are doing a brat the two bars were the seat sits has to be cut anyway so that would be done when you brat it.
Line up two frames and look at it.
Rich

I have done a lot of frames and I would think it would be easier to do than installing a hard tail. If you cut the frame below the curve on the backbone about 4" above rear motor mount and made the same cuts as you do for a hard tail. Use a ass end from another frame I think it can be done in three welds. If you are doing a brat the two bars were the seat sits has to be cut anyway so that would be done when you brat it.
Line up two frames and look at it.
Rich

I was thinking the same. If i got enough meat on a rear swing arm section, it shouldn't be a problem.

that sucks man. didn't you just get the bike done? how is the law stated? must have rear suspension or no major frame modifications? might make more sense to sell the bike and find a new one...

Ya it sucks for sure. Sitting in the garage idle. It wouldn't make sense to sell it and start a new one cause i built the wheels and everything. I wouldn't do another one with the time i put into it.
I did find a frame, didn't buy it yet. Serial no's ground off though. No title. Smells funny. How hard is it to stamp a VIN. Frames around here are hard to come by.

easy, get some stamps, harbor frieghts over here sells them. grab a hammer. as long as you dont need to take the bike in you should be ok. for example an oregon title bike is just paper work to transfer, but out of state needs a vin check. ive stamped bikes and brought them in and passed. it mostly depends on the person you get to inspect the vin. someone that knows what to look for or someone just looking at numbers. good luck man. oh you could even buy or have someone make you that sticker that goes on the neck if you want to get real about it. think someone in the shop section are or was offering them.

Harbor freight stamps are not the right size or the right style of print.
If you do try to do this the best way to make it happen to look the best is
Line up all the numbers together as one big number heat the neck until it is red hot and use a press . That way all the numbers look even. Now me I never did this before so I am just passing info:thumbsup:
I owned a Honda Dealership and have had those correct stamps....:D

Back