early kill/start switch I.D. needed

DogBunny

Motorcychologist
Top Contributor
Reaction score
switch.jpg

This looks like a 1974-75 switch, but there is no lights slider.
It is for a dual-throttle cable. It does not have a decompression lever.
Maybe it's not for an XS650?
Thanks....

Yeah, thanks, that's what I was beginning to think.
It would be really nice to know what it came off of. It's exactly the kind of right-side handlebar switch that I like to put on my bikes -- very small and simple.

I'm suspecting it may be some sort of an unknown XS2 oddball, somehow missing the decomp gadgetry? It does have the correct kill switch knob and orientation, and the correct wire colors for Yamaha XS2 ignition and starter.

The (5) attached XS1-XS2-Handlebar pics are from an early 70-72 parts book, and show the unique XS2 right side switch. Like the XS1's, the headlighting switches were on the left.

The attached PDF is of the revised XS1-XS2-TX650 70-73 parts manual. In this, you'll see some funny business going on with the right switch body lower half, which would normally carry the decomp lever.

Our XS2 members would be much more helpful with this...

Attachments

• XS1-XS2-Handlebar-01.jpg
    XS1-XS2-Handlebar-01.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 128
  • XS1-XS2-Handlebar-02.jpg
    XS1-XS2-Handlebar-02.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 111
  • XS1-XS2-Handlebar-03.jpg
    XS1-XS2-Handlebar-03.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 99
  • XS1-XS2-Handlebar-04.jpg
    XS1-XS2-Handlebar-04.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 107
  • XS1-XS2-Handlebar-05.jpg
    XS1-XS2-Handlebar-05.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 108
  • 70-73_handlebar.pdf
    89.8 KB · Views: 92
TwoMany, thanks for the help. I don't really see any funny business...
Supposedly this switch was on a '73, so it should have the decomp lever, but maybe you're right and it's from a late 73 oddball that didn't have a decompressor.

Looking at that PDF, parts 44, 45, 46, 47, you can see some differences in the switch body parts.
Yes, I now believe that's actually a later '73. The applicable notes on the far right side of the listing are obscured/clipped, which may have indicated the serial numbers of the cutover to the non-comp style...

switch.jpg

OKAY, I figured it out! What you are looking at is a 1972-1973 XS2/TX650 right-side switch with the bracket that holds the decompression lever on the bottom half of the housing cut off with a hacksaw or some such by a previous owner. AND he added a start button. The stock decompression lever housing has all the provisions for adding a start button except for the push-button hole.

switch2.jpg

My decompression lever collection. Not sure what you are seeing, but they look just like parts 44, 45, 46, and 47 in the drawings to me...

Well I'll be! The 'ol hacksaw mod. What threw me was the model/column entries for parts 45 & 46, as though the upper was matched for some other lower, maybe for the TXA. Goofy parts manuals.

Glad you got it figured out...

Back