tranny circlip

Champion750

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm reassembling an engine and I noticed that the output tranny shaft (assembly) has a large circlip on the bearing just behind the primary sprocket. As you'll notice in the pics the circlip only goes around half of the bearing. The pics in my Clymer manual show the same thing (clip 24 in the diagram pic). Why doesn't this clip go all the way around like the one on the bearing behind the clutch on the main tranny shaft? Is there another half that goes with this one to go around the other side of the bearing?

Thanks in advance,

Robert

Attachments

• IMG_1040.jpg
    IMG_1040.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1041.jpg
    IMG_1041.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_1042.jpg
    IMG_1042.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 135
The double-row bearing behind the clutch needs full support since it's under axial loads from clutch disengagement (up around 400 lbs). The sprocket bearing isn't seeing those kinds of axial loads. For those single-clip retainers, I like to situate them so that they span them across both case halves...

The double-row bearing behind the clutch needs full support since it's under axial loads from clutch disengagement (up around 400 lbs). The sprocket bearing isn't seeing those kinds of axial loads. For those single-clip retainers, I like to situate them so that they span them across both case halves...

Makes total sense :doh:

I myself was wondering about that. Hadn't gotten that far in my build to ask myself. Thought I lost it during dis-assembly until I looked at the manual.

Good tip in spanning the case halves TwoMany.

Back